This SUGAR COOKIE RECIPE does not need chilling, holds its shape, and doesn’t spread, perfect for any shape cookie cutter. It rolls out easily, can be baked days ahead and cookies can even be frozen before icing.
These cookies are great all year long, you don’t have to wait until December to make Christmas Cookies with this recipe, but it’s also a perfect time for them too!
You will fall in love with this sugar cookie recipe.
The cookies are light and tasty without being heavy or tough.
They are not overly sugary and taste great alone or with a thin or thick glaze icing on top.
This recipe makes approximately 3 dozen 2 1/2 inch cookies rolled about 1/4″ thick ( of course it will depend on the shape of the cookie)
- *this post is full of information with links to many other recipes as well.
- *If you have any questions for me, leave them in the comments.
I have lots of favorites items,
I bake my cookies without having them brown and let them cool on the baking sheet completely.
This cookie recipe is GREAT, they really hold their shape so when baked the cookies come out of the oven in the shape they went in!
to get more info be sure to check out THIS POST too.
Be sure the butter is at room temperature but not warm.
Measure your flour by scooping the flour out of the container you have it in, then into the measuring cup and leveling it off.
Don’t pack the flour in or you will have dryer dough and tougher cookies.
I like my cookies and baked goods to have a great balance of salty sweetness, I often use salted butter and yes still add salt to the recipe.
If you are in doubt and do not like salty-sweet, use unsalted butter, and add half the amount of salt in the recipe.
Be sure your baking powder is fresh.
Now my rant on vanilla.
BUY the best vanilla you can.
It really does make all the difference in baked goods
Just because you CAN buy it in a big bottle at a great price doesn’t mean it will result in the best tasting baked goods. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve purchased vanilla, put it in baked goods and it lacked flavor, completely. It’s no secret the right ingredients make all the difference. Use the best vanilla you can afford.
Since I wrote this post, the cost of vanilla has gone through the roof! I wish I stocked up on vanilla years ago. Currently, I buy THIS, as I know I can count on the quality and order it anytime I need it.
I have vanilla that says Madagascar, Tahitian, Bourbon, there are many brands like this, this, and oh my goodness I love this one from Orlando Natural Vanilla it’s delicious no alcohol taste and great in icings and frostings that don’t get cooked or baked, that is where great vanilla is essential.
HERE is my post on my foodie favorite items with baking sheets and other items I find essential in the kitchen.
Here is an image of the cookie cutter I used for these cookies. It’s 2 1/2 inches wide at the largest part of the heart.
Heart shaped cookies are my favorite, I have tons of heart-shaped cookie cutters, it’s great to have a variety of sizes like these
Take a look at more posts featuring icing recipes
Icing Cookies with a piping bag – This easy no mess method of filling piping bags to ice cookies will have them looking professional after a little practice.
Icing cookies without a piping bag – Once you see this, it’ll change how you ice cookies especially if you’re in a hurry!
Most posts on cookies
- Bake Perfect Cut Out Cookies
- Cookies Tips GUIDE
- Cookie Ebook, how to make a BEAUTIFUL tray of cookies all with one dough.
Take a look at how pretty it is!
Iced sugar cookies are great all year long, perfect for decorating at all holidays and occasions here are some of my favorites: (lots of link to my cookies in the following list)
- New Years you can use champagne cookie cutters to numbers to ring in the New Year
- Valentines Day – Red Velvet Hearts and Cinnamon Red Hot Heart Cookies and these easy Strawberry Cookies and Cupid Cookies
- St. Patrick’s Day – Mint Cookies with Dark Chocolate Glaze Icing
- Easter and Spring – Lemon Cookies, and Bunny Cookies and too cute and cherry cookies with cherry icing
- Memorial Day – July 3th to celebrate all things red white and blue like these Tie Dye Cookies and Star Cookies
- back to school – Apples or pencils are great this time of year.
- Fall – Leaves and I just love Chocolate Cherry Cookies this time of year.
- Halloween – Chocolate Peanut Butter Pumpkin shaped cookies and Chocolate Peppermint Ghost Cookies and these fun mummy cookies
- Thanksgiving – I love Pistachios and these Pistachio Cookies can be made with your favorite nuts as well and these great Coconut Cookies will kick off baking season really well. Then look at the cutest Turkey faced cookies here. Christmas – Stained Glass Cookies and Red Velvet Snowflake Cookies Snowman Gingerbread Cookies, and Giant Gingerbread Cookies also take a look at these fun reindeer cookies and snowman snowflake cookies, Gingerbread spice cut out cookies and fruitcake cookies and peppermint mocha cookies
- Game Day – check out these fun football player cookies and Coconut Football Cookies and if you’re a baseball fan these BATter up cookies are so cute!
- Birthdays – Sprinkle Cookies
- Banana cut out cookies, peanut butter cut out cookies, toffee cut out cookies, lemon poppy cookies, cinnamon raisin cookies
My BEST advice on baking cut-out cookies is to plan ahead, don’t try to do a large batch, and ice them in a short amount of time. You’ll get tired and the cookies won’t look like your best work.
Do not roll cookies too thin, they don’t hold their shape.
Start baking the cookies three days before you need them,
this gives you time to clean up especially if you are making multiple batches of cookie dough.
Ice the cookies the next day and let them dry completely on baking sheets, don’t move the cookies, you’ll end up messing up more cookies by handling them over and over. Purchase extra baking sheets if you plan on baking lots of cookies. These are my favorite baking sheets I have bought many different brands, but these are my all-time favorite.
If you do mess up a cookies icing, be sure to have some of these on hand, they can make cookies cute with very little effort.
(keep scrolling down, there is a lot more info in this post on cookies you won’t want to miss)
There are so many options with baking sugar cookies depending on cookie-cutter, icing color, sprinkles, and these taste AMAZING!
These cookies are great all year long!
- 1 cup salted butter
- 1 ½ cups powdered sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 teaspoon vanilla extract or vanilla bean paste
- 2 3/4-3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 400°
- In the large bowl with a mixer, cream together butter and powdered sugar.
- Mix in egg and vanilla.
- Blend in flour, baking powder, and salt. (only add the additional 1/4 cup flour if needed, the dough should be supple and soft not dry)
- Mix until the dough forms a ball.
- Roll out on a floured surface and cut with a cookie cutter,
- Bake at 400° for 7-9 minutes, until cookies are golden but tops are not browned yet.
- Cool completely before icing.
adapted from Sweet Sugar Belle’s Lemon Poppy Cookie Recipe
There are so many options when it comes to cut out cookies, the shape, the flavor, the color.
Cookies are perfect for EVERY occasion!
You can make cut out cookies with colored cookie dough too, which is great if you don’t want to ice them!
CHECK out these Cherry Cookies
LOTS of info on baking cookies here:
- cookie tips guide https://www.createdby-diane.com/cookie-tips
how to bake perfect cookies https://www.createdby-diane.com/2017/09/how-to-bake-perfect-cut-out-cookies.html
- Easy Cut Out Cookies https://www.createdby-diane.com/2011/07/sugar-cookie-recipe.html
- Cookie Dough Recipe that holds it’s shape https://www.createdby-diane.com/2011/07/sugar-cookie-recipe.html
- Soft Sugar Cookies and Frosting https://www.createdby-diane.com/2017/05/soft-sugar-cookies.html
- How to ice cookies with a piping bag https://www.createdby-diane.com/2017/07/how-to-ice-cookies-with-a-piping-bag.html
- Brush on glaze icing https://www.createdby-diane.com/2014/08/lemon-italian-cookies-with-lemon-icing.html
- resources, recipes, items, and instructions for baking perfect cookies https://www.createdby-diane.com/2017/09/how-to-bake-perfect-cut-out-cookies.html
- royal icing recipe https://www.createdby-diane.com/2013/10/royal-icing-googly-eyes.html
If you like this post feel free to check out more of my recipes HERE, or click the recipes tab on the toolbar, and please share this post using the social share buttons at the top or bottom of this or any post.