Everyone loves chocolate… rich and dreamy! These creamy chocolate frosting recipes complement hundreds of different baked goods, delighting the eyes and the tastebuds!
This post will help separate the different types of chocolate frostings that can be made, from ganache to buttercream, we’ll cover them all! And I’ll help describe them so you won’t be left in the dark, allowing you to chose just the right one for your baked creations.
In this post we will cover these succulent sweets:
- Chocolate Whipped Cream Frosting – Just as described, light and fluffy with a creamy finish.
- Chocolate Cream Cheese Frosting – thick and creamy with a sweet tang that’s not too heavy.
- Chocolate Buttercream Frosting – Sweet, it’s what your childhood was filled with at every birthday occasion-but with improvements for an adult pallet!
- Chocolate Malt Frosting – Decadent, this variation is one of my favorites – it reminds me of summer and malt shakes!
- Chocolate Pudding Frosting – Impossible to not taste it before it’s on the cake – silky with a lighter sweet side. Here is my skillet version on a cake made with a box mix for a simplified treat.
- Oreo Frosting – Um, Oreos…Need I say more? Okay, I will. It’s playfully fun and is the perfect combination of creamy goodness and sweet confection.
- Chocolate Italian Buttercream Frosting – Like its sister, buttercream, this one is rich in taste but lighter in sweetness – I love it for the balance it brings to a richer dessert.
- Chocolate fudge frosting – One word. Decadent.
- Chocolate Swiss Meringue Buttercream frosting (coming soon) – This is the best of both worlds – it has the sweetness of buttercream balanced with the light and fluffy texture of meringue.
- Chocolate Malt Frosting – the same great flavor as an old-fashioned chocolate malt shake!
- Hot Fudge Sauce – dripping down this fun Banana Split Cake is a fun 1-hour cake you’ll want to make again and again!
- Chocolate Glaze Icing – a thin icing great glaze to drizzle on bundt cakes and so much more, delicious on sugar cookies too.
And some of my favorite recipes that I use these delicious toppings on are right here – so no need to look further!
Chocolate Frosted Glass Bottom Cookies – named because of the sugared coating that adds a crisp outer texture. These are delightful with my chocolate buttercream frosting!
Additionally good, are these Banana Cream Cupcakes, also topped with the yummy goodness of chocolate.
And when ONLY cake will do…
my Chocolate cake with a stabilized whipped topping is perfect! The velvety texture of the whipped cream gives way to a light sweetness which is a perfect balance for this rich cake.
And when you want to indulge but don’t want to eat a whole cake – my small batch Chocolate Cupcakes with American Buttercream Frosting is the right size to indulge more than once without fear of consuming too much. And I love buttercream because I can get playful with it, adding food dye to change the look of the cupcake! It’s a great way to celebrate any occasion.
One frosting that doesn’t get enough credit or use is Chocolate Ganache. It’s great for a myriad of different treats and is rich enough to be used sparingly but light enough to not feel heavy. It’s great for topping lots of sweet treats, including this Chocolate-Chip Pancake Bundt Cake I created!
And cookies are one of my absolute favorite ways to consume ganache, which is why I had to incorporate it into one – I give you my Chocolate Ganache-filled Cookies.
If you’re more of a vanilla cake lover give one of these a try!
Vanilla Cake 2 Layers 13×9 – a pretty and delicious Wedding Cake
Aside from all this, I have LOADS of tips and tricks for cupcakes- from decorating to baking – it’s an entire ebook you won’t want to miss out on! Click here for my Cupcakes Tips and Tricks Ebook to get it!