Even the small things need celebrating… make CAKE!
No matter is the celebrating is big or small there should ALWAYS be cake!
This is the perfect cake for every day celebrating…
it has a delicious flavor and smells AMAZING!
It’s a perfect size and serves about 10 depending on how large you slice it, it’s 8″ round and a single layer which means it’s ready quickly and is easy to make and decorate, even non-cake-decorator-types will love it!
I topped it with some stabilized whipped cream and sprinkles, you can customize it any way you like…
chocolate chips, strawberries, blueberries or add some coconut!
Some of my other favorite cake recipes:
- Apple Cake Oh, it’s so delicious and should go on you must make list.
- Pumpkin Cake which is perfect all year long so grab some pumpkin and get baking!
- Carrot Cake mmm… so yummy!
This recipe is the one to go to, again and again, you can simply use a whisk and bowl to make it, or use an electric mixer.
It’s always a good idea to gather all the necessary ingredients and measure them out before beginning.
The mixing will go quicker, you won’t be inclined to forget anything and you won’t get distracted and forget a step or ingredient.
Once the cake is baked, I find it easiest to cool the cake for 10 minutes. Then have a piece of wax paper and a cooling rack ready. Turn the cake onto the wax paper by turning the cake upside down, onto the paper.
Then hold the rack over the cake, and flip the cake and the rack over to make the cake right side up to continue to cool all the way before frosting.
This method ensures that the cake will release easily and evenly as long as you’ve prepared the pan for a proper release. I use a baking spray it’s a combination of oil and flour, I use Baklene brand. You can use shortening and flour as an alternative. A thin even coating is the best way to prepare the pan.
Wrap the pan with a bake even strip and secure it with a T-pin or use a strip cut from a towel to fit eh pan. Wet the strip, wring it out. This will help the cake bake evenly, there is no trimming or leveling needed.
Did you notice my little helper?
He’s so funny, he would just love a piece of this cake (or the whole thing I’m guessing)
He’s always by my side, he likes keeping me company in the kitchen and well…
he’s so cute,
I can’t resist his charm!
Now back to the cake… and the delicious frosting.
The frosting is a stabilized whipped cream, I add some dry milk to the heavy cream and powdered sugar, this ensures the whipped cream won’t “weep” or get wet on top of the cake.
This whipped cream not only tastes delicious it stays great on the cake for days in the fridge, which you may know is not typical with regular whipped cream which only stays good for a few hours.
HERE is the VIDEO for this cake!
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1-1/4 cups flour
- ½ cup milk
- ¼ cup melted butter
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons dry milk
- 2 tablespoons powdered sugar
- 1-2 tablespoons rainbow sprinkles
- Preheat oven to 350°
- Prepare one 8 inch round cake pan with a baking spray (or grease and flour pan)
- wrap a wet baking strip or towel around the outer edge of pan to ensure even baking
- In a medium bowl, whisk sugar with eggs until fluffy and lighter in color.
- Add in flour, baking powder and whisk to combine
- Add in milk, butter, oil, and vanilla and finish mixing it all in without over mixing.
- You can mix this cake by hand with a whisk, or with an electric mixer.
- Pour batter into prepared baking pan
- Bake for 30 minutes, then test until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Allow cake to cool in the pan for 10 minutes, then turn out onto a piece of wax paper, then turn again right side up on a cooling rack to cool completely.
- Whip heavy cream with an immersion blender or electric mixer with powdered milk and powdered sugar, until it's thick and peaks form when the whisk attachment when pulled away.
- The powdered milk with help keep the whipped cream from getting "watery" it stays well for days in the fridge.
- Spread whipped cream over top of the cake with an offset spatula to create swirls to give it a fluffy look.
- Top with sprinkles.
- Place in the fridge until ready to serve.
- Remove from fridge 15 minutes before serving