Patriotic Cookies show off you RED, WHITE, and BLUE spirit perfectly!
Patriotic Spritz Cookies
Some make bring out their spritz cookie press only around Christmas,
but these prove you NEED to break it out more often!
In no time you’ll have dozens of these cookies all ready for any occasion.
Whether it’s the 4th of July, Memorial Day, Veterans Day or just a great day to celebrate being American decorate with red, white, and blue sprinkles.
If you are celebrating a birthday, choose their favorite color in sprinkles and get baking!
Spritz cookies are buttery and light and oh so delicious.
You can use a spritz press or a piping tip fitted on a piping bag.
The tip you’ll need is long and flat on one side and wavy on the other.
Pipe 2 inches for each cookie.
I used a 898 piping tip on a pastry bag. If you have a spritz press there is a disk to use.
I’ve used both with great results. If you use a piping bag be sure to use the “canvas” type of bag, cookie dough is thicker than frosting and as you press the dough out plastic bags will tend to break easily.
Place a blue star in the corner of the cookies and add red, white, and blue nonpareil sprinkles before baking.
If you are filling the cookies the recipes I use for whipped cream cheese frosting is delicious. After you pipe the frosting onto the back side of one cookie and place another cookie to “sandwich” it together
After you pipe the frosting onto the back side of one cookie and place another cookie to “sandwich” it together dip the frosted edges in sprinkles, then refrigerate the cookies so the frosting sets nicely. They can be served cold or at room temperature. To keep the cookies fresh store in the refrigerator.
They can be served cold or at room temperature. To keep the cookies fresh store in the refrigerator.
- 1 cup salted butter
- 1 1/4 cups powdered sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 1/4 cups flour
- small blue star sprinkles
- red, white, and blue nonpareil sprinkles
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Line baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In mixer bowl beat butter and sugar until whipped smooth.
- On low mix in eggs and vanilla until incorporated.
- Add in flour and mix on low until incorporated then on medium until well combined.
- Place dough into a canvas pastry bag fitted with an 898 tip or in spritz cookie press with a tip that is flat on one side and ridges on the other.
- Pipe 2-inch strips for each cookie onto cookie sheets allowing space between cookies so they bake evenly.
- Bake for 8 minutes. Remove cookies before the edges brown.
- add sprinkles for flag cookies before baking.
- If you forget you can add a small amount of corn syrup onto the tops of the cookies for sprinkles to stick.
- 1/2 cup salted butter (room temperature)
- 1/2 cup whipped cream cheese
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 4-6 drops white food coloring if you want the frosting super white.(I use Americolor white coloring)
- In mixer bowl beat butter until smooth.
- Add in cream cheese and mix well.
- Add in powdered sugar, heavy cream, and vanilla and mix on high until fully whipped together.
If you happen to bake cookies and then decide you want sprinkles on them and know they won’t stick on their own, add a super thin amount of corn syrup and then add sprinkles.
If you happen to forget sprinkles and want to add them after the cookies are baked you can add a small amount of corn syrup to the tops of the cookies and then add sprinkles, or a thin coat of glaze icing will work too. HERE is a post on icing cookies and glaze icing.
More Patriotic Recipes:
- Red White and Blue Patriotic Cake – vanilla cake colored buttercream
- 8” round American Flag Cake a simple cake you’ll make again and again
- Patriotic tye dye cake fun and easy to make white cake with colored frosting
- Red White and Blue Patriotic Cake – vanilla cake-colored buttercream
- Cherry Pie Cookies – deep dish vanilla cookies with cherry filling
- Red White and Blue Tart Fruit tart
- Vanilla Layer Cake 2 layer sheet cake with pastry cream, topped with berries
- Patriotic Spritz Cookies butter cookies perfect for celebrating the USA
- American Flag Cupcakes so cute, and easy to decorate
- Frosted Sugar Cookies to look like the US Flag
- Red White and Blue Colored Cake Batter- cupcakes
- Star Cookies with sprinkles in red white and blue and a template for giant cookies
- Red Velvet Pancakes with Cream Cheese Glaze perfect to start a patriotic day
- Fruit Squares Cake– apple, blueberry, cherry looks like a flag
- Red White and Blue Spaghetti a fun meal everyone will rave over
- Red White and Blue deviled eggs so fun every celebration needs these
- Red Velvet No Bake Cheesecake pretty, delicious and no oven needed
- Red White and Blue Tie Dye Cookies fun cut out cookies in patriotic colors
- Chocolate Ice Cream Shaped Cookies in cones with patriotic sprinkles