Stuffed French Toast has been an all-time favorite item. I’ve made this for over twenty years.
- I loaf of bread, I prefer french bread, a large wide loaf 1 lb.
- 1 dozen eggs
- 2 cups milk
- 1 tablespoon vanilla (I like a lot of vanilla flavor)
- 3/4 cup maple syrup
- 1-8oz. package cream cheese (you can use whipped cream cheese)
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- Prepare this recipe the night before for best results, this allows the egg to absorb into the bread.
- Butter a 13x9 pan.
- Dice the bread into cubes.
- Place half of the diced bread in the prepared pan.
- Dice cream cheese into cubes, yes it's a little messy, or use a spoon to scoop dollops then place them over the bread.
- Repeat with another layer of bread and cream cheese.
- Mix eggs, vanilla, syrup, and milk together.
- Pour over top of bread and cream cheese evenly.
- Dust top with cinnamon.
- Cover with foil and place in refrigerator overnight, the bread will soak up the egg mixture and bake up fluffy in the morning.
- The next morning bake at 350° or until the center is fully cooked. I prefer the internal temperature to be 180-200°. It should not appear "eggy" it should be puffed up high.
- Often it takes over an hour. I usually get impatient and put the temperature up to 400 after the first hour to speed it up a bit.
- It's not uncommon to take 1:15-1:30 with thick bread and when putting it in the oven directly from the fridge.
- You can add diced breakfast sausage or bacon if you prefer. I prefer bacon on the side, and some fresh fruit.
More NON-TRADITIONAL Breakfast Favorites