The Yummiest Pancake Recipe

yummiest pancake recipe from @createdbydiane

I love pancakes and since it’s National Pancake Day it only seems like the perfect day to share with you may stack of pancakes!

Pancake Recipe
printable pancake recipe

2 cups flour
⅓ cup sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1 ½ Tablespoons. baking powder
1 egg
2 cups milk
2 Tablespoons butter (room temp, soft)
2 teaspoons vanilla
Mix all dry ingredients together, then add egg, milk, butter, and vanilla. Whisk until all
Incorporated.
I use a 3 Tablespoon scoop to make my pancakes and this recipe makes 15 pancakes of that
size.
Heat your frying pan to medium and pour the batter on a lightly oiled pan (with vegetable oil), flip when bubbles
appear on the edges. Once flipped it only take a minute or two to finish cooking.

*NOTE:  it is 1  1/2 TABLESPOONS baking powder not teaspoons, that seems to be the common problem with people who are having trouble with the recipe and commenting that they are not working.

My kids make this recipe with no help, their pancakes come out just like mine, nice and fluffy. If you have trouble with the recipe, please make sure you measured properly.

Now for my tip on keeping my pancakes warm until I’m ready to eat them….

tortilla warmer

A tortilla warmer…that’s right. I use  my tortilla warmer to keep my pancakes warm.

I love having breakfast with my family. What I don’t like is when I’m finally finished cooking and sit down to enjoy it, my food is cold. It shouldn’t be that way for the cook, should it? It used to happen often, until I discovered that my tortilla warmer can keep my pancakes warm, and not just warm…HOT!

We eat a lot of pancakes

15 pancakes in tortilla warmer

and my large tortilla warmer holds 15 pancakes and that is how many pancakes my recipe makes. This tortilla warmer is under $3.00. I love using it for more then just keeping my tortillas warm and so will you.

I also line the tortilla warmer with parchment paper and keep quesadillas warm as well as scrambled eggs.

The possibilities are endless! That’s why I have two of them.

yummiest pancake recipe @createdbydiane.jpg

Happy Pancake Day!

Yummy Pancake Recipe @createdbydiane

and if you want to top your pancakes with something a little EXTRA delicious try my recipe for Coffee Syrup

Coffee Syrup @createdbydiane

79 Comments

don't forget to confirm email sent and enjoy every recipe

Comments

Great idea on the tortilla warmer. I usually put them in the oven on warm, but if they’re in there too long they dry out. The tortilla warmer would work great for company too.

Thank you for directing me to this recipe. I will definitely give it a try. We do a pancake every year on our daughters birthday for her breakfast in the shape of her age. She turned 8 last month. Tomorrow is our sons first birthday, so I may just have to throw a batch of this together and start back at #1 again. :o)

These pancakes were so delicious, BUT they did not set properly on the pan and spread out too thin…the batter was very thin. Did I do something wrong? i really love this recipe and would love to use it if I could figure out the problem. Thanks :)

I make these all the time, I’ve never had them get too thin. I use a flat pan or griddle to make them. The batter is on the thinner side, not thick, but I’ve never had any issues with it. My daughter makes them every week now and has even printed the recipe at friends houses she sleeps over to make them. So I’m trying to figure out what could have gone wrong and I’m not sure. Did you double check to be sure you used the proportions that were given? I’m sad for you they didn’t turn out, if you can think of anything that might be different let me know and I’ll try to troubleshoot with you.

I’m sure that I followed the recipe corectly. They were so delicious that I’m not giving up on them. I’ll double check to be sure next time and maybe give the batter a couple of minutes to thicken…I’ll make them again soon and check back :)

try cooking one pancake in the pan at a time, maybe there wasn’t enough room in your pan to cook them and allow them to spread. I cook 3 pancakes in a 12″ pan. Good Luck!

I can’t get them to work. do you need to put the butter in the dry first? (before other wet) do you need to melt it though it says room temp? is it really baking powder and not soda?

I had to add a least a 1/2 cup of flour to make them not spread…maybe check the numbers again ?

cooking them as I type…To get them to fluff up I added close to a cup. but they taste good

The numbers on the recipe are correct I make them all the time, I’m not sure why some have trouble with them being thin, but I use all purpose flour with the measurements in the recipe with NO trouble at all. There are so many variations in cooking and baking, some butter has more water than others as well. I have never had to add any additional flour and they always turn out like they did in the photos posted. I’m glad adding additional flour worked for you, as with all recipes some adjustments are OK :) Enjoy

It could just be the humidity! Depending on where you live, some recipes just turn out differently.

I add the butter along with the other wet ingredients, no it doesn’t need to be completely melted. Yes Baking Powder, not baking soda. Baking powder is what makes them rise.

I also had them go thin :-/ BUT they taste fantastic and I think next time I’ll use different butter and maybe my stand mixer. This is a keeper! I’ve been searching for the best pancake recipe and this is it!!! My son (10 months old) LOVES pancakes so I wanted to find one that I loved to, seeing as how we eat them almost every other day now, and this is it. I will try this again with the different butter and go from there but ohh they are so yummy!! Thank you for sharing!!

Stephanie says:

Mine were also way too thin of a batter. I ended up adding at least am extra half cup of flour. I made them again and this time stopped adding milk when I got the right consistency (I think it was a cup and a half?). They were so delicious. I ended up making a TON and freezing them for quick breakfasts for the kiddos

Where can I find the tortilla warmer? Love the recipe! Mine were a little thin too but my whole family loved the flavor!!

Where I live they are readily available where they sell tortillas in the grocery stores or small food markets. If they sell Mexican food where you live chances are you’ll find tortilla warmers, ask at customer service they will know where they have them. Also at Bed Bath and Beyond I believe I’ve seen them as well.

Thank you for posting this recipe. I have had such a hard time finding a healthy pancake recipe that was tasty and fluffy. These pancakes were awesome! The batter was thin but worked out just fine. I have a griddle that covers the front and back burner and used 1/3 cup as measurement for each pancake and made 4 at a time. Total, I got 13 pancakes out of it.

We like a thicker pancake so I reduced the milk by 1/2 a cup–perfecto.

Oh my Wow! This recipe is.AWESOME! Seriously the best pancakes we have had … and we’ve had a LOT!! thanks for sharing this!!! God Bless

I tried these this morning and will never make another recipe!! I feel like I ‘ve tried every pancake recipe out there and have never been satisfied. These are perfect! Thanks so much for sharing!

Those look DELISH! Pinned!

I was so disappointed. I expected nice fluffy pancakes and instead ended up with very thin runny batter and thin flat pancakes :( I followed the recipe exactly. The flavor was good but overall this recipe did not deliver.

sorry you had trouble with the recipe, the batter is thinner that thick, but I did not have trouble with the pancakes fluffing up nicely. I use this recipe all the time with no issues. Did you use the recommended amount of batter for each pancake?

I needed this recipe last weekend! I have used the same recipe for years and I LOST it! So I was out searching for a new one. I’ll definitely try yours, it looks similar in ingredients to the one I used. They look so fluffy!

Thank you for sharing this recipe it is really good. We put dark chocolate chips in it, I think it made it better. Thanks again..

Michelle Scott says:

Best pancakes EVER!!! My husband doesn’t eat pancakes he hates how heavy and filling they are. He loved these!!! Light and fluffy with great flavor! Thank you I love having pancakes for breakfast on our days off together. Pancake lover, Michelle~

I just made these. I found the batter too thick. It glommed up inside the whisk. I had to add milk (almost another cup) to thin it out. I thought the vanilla would be too much. They turned out so fluffy and the vanilla was the right amount, I’m glad I didn’t change it. I am keeping this recipe. I made approximately 20 pancakes. I thought I would freeze the left overs and the kids could just pop them in the toaster tomorrow for breakfast. The three boys didn’t leave a soldier behind. I was lucky I had one before I put them out. BIG hit in this house! Thanks for posting.

I just re-read the recipe. I think I added 2/12 cups of flour which is why it was so thick to begin with. At any rate they still turned out delish!

Rashidah says:

I realized that the batter was thin because I measured the flour like I would for cake. Instead, pack in the flour. This worked for me and the batter became and now always Is, of a thicker consistency and the pancakes are really yummy.

Hello. I have never commented on a recipe yet, but thought I should give you a kudos. These are delishious pancakes. I too have trouble with the batter rising. I’m thinking my baking powder might be old, however, Rashidah made a good point. I also measured the flour like a cake recipe (leveled off). When I added more flour they rose more. Perhaps some viewers measured exact while others did more of a heaping measurement? I followed the recipe exactly, making sure to use Tablespoons for the baking powder. Next time I’ll use new b. powder and use heaping measurements for the flour. Thanks for the yummy recipe!

Thanks for commenting, I don’t measure heaping, I level off my measuring cups and the recipe has not failed me. I do realize different products will produce different results in the kitchen, if more flour works for you that is great :)

Clarissa Demmert says:

Made these but I added Ceylon cinnamon and were so delicious thanks for the recipe

This are hands down the BEST pancakes I’ve made. It seems like every time I go to make pancakes I’m hunting for a new recipe because the last ones just didn’t come out right. I found yours through Pinterest this morning and I promise these will be made a lot in our home. I’ve got 3 boys and they devoured these! I added a bit of wheat germ (something my momma taught me) and used coconut oil to grease my pan. Beautiful pancakes that cooked perfectly! Thank you so much for this recipe! It’s a keeper for us.

I have to say… I’ve tried soo many pancake recipes because my family loves them soo much. I actually had pancakes this morning when I tried this recipe. They are so light and fluffy and sweet. This recipe is a definite keeper. Thanks so much for sharing. <3

what is the quantity of sugar to use?

I made these this morning and they came out great. My bf’s nephew is in town from TX and he is a huge pancake and sausage lover. I ran out of boxed pancake mix on his first morning here in CA. So I found your recipe and whipped it together in a flash. We all loved the texture and flavor. My boyfriend can’t stop commenting on how good they are. Thank you for this easy and quick pancake recipe!

Do you pack your flour into your measuring cups? probably why others are having an issue with them getting thin. when you pat your flour down into the measuring cup you get more out of it than if you just scoop the flour without packing it down. just a thought. will try these tonight for a slumber party and get back at you with the results. lost my long-loved recipe that was a no-fail.. this is the only recipe i’ve ever seen tho that has equal amounts of flour and milk (usually i put more flour in than milk). no promises that i’ll stick to that but we shall see!

No, I do not pack my flour. I do know how to measure properly, I find most people who have emailed me on this issue, have used old baking powder and retried the recipe with great results, some people have just measured improperly all together. The batter is on the thin side, but it results in light and fluffy pancakes. Most people were thrown of by the thin ness of the batter and just added flour before ever cooking them as well. I have had others test the recipe and their result was just as mine was, so the comments from some that are having trouble has not been the norm, I do find that people are often more willing to say it’s bad, than to take the time to say it’s good. My kids make this recipe all the time by themselves with no trouble :)
      Hope the recipe works for you!

These are awesome! I did make a few additions and it turned out nicely, phew! First, I doubled the recipe. I like some for the freezer. Second I added a cup of oatmeal. Third I added cinnamon. Also with doubling it, instead of it being 4 cups of milk I added the 2 cups of milk and then added 2 cups of chai latte liquid. Divine. I have made these before as directed and love how they turn out. Thank you.

Hi There!

I literally just finished making these pancakes no more than 2 minutes ago. And they are beautiful….with the exception of the 2 I attempted to flip too soon and fell apart. They are fluffy and light. I know your frustration with the many folks saying the recipe is wrong or maybe you measure differently. But I think it boils down to the fact that they aren’t true bakers. They follow recipes and don’t think about the science. Baking powder is activated by heat. Once heated, rising will take place. Cake batter isn’t always thick, but that doesn’t stop it from tripling it’s size in the oven.

Anyway great recipe!

After reading all the comments I made sure to follow the recipe to a T and let me just say they were perfect!! It’s defiantly not the recipe that’s the problem!! They were amazing!!! I’m eating mine now as I write this! Lol just put some peanut butter on top and it’s heaven! Thanks so much for this!!!

I just made these pancakes, followed your recipe exactly and they came out perfect! They are yummy! I topped them with homemade honey cinnamon butter. Thank you for this recipe, I will use this as my go to pancake recipe and share it with all my family.

Dailypainter says:

Made a batch this morning, and boy were they great!!!!
    Question, you said to grease the frying pan, what did you use to do that???
    I used butter in the recipe and Crisco in the frying pan, mine didn’t come out golden brown like your did.
    So I’m thinking it’s what I used to fry them up in…
    Thanks so much for the recipe, it’s definitely a keeper.

I use vegetable oil, when I’m cooking anything in a frying pan unless I not it that I use butter or olive oil I did write greased, but I don’t actually use shortening to do this. Sorry if that was confusing. I use vegetable oil to cook pancakes. Glad you liked the recipe, hope that helps. I will update the recipe to say vegetable oil when cooking :)

Yummy pancakes! Recipe worked out well for me. Thank you

This was a great recipe. I doubled it and sprinkled sugar cookie sugar on top of them as they cooked. My grandsons loved them! I think people need to make sure that their flour and baking powder are fresh. Also, try adding less milk. ALSO, hugely important to let the batter sit for five minutes for baking to let the baking powder activate!

Also, if you double recipe, do not double salt and baking powder!

Wow, I just made crepes. Basically. To anyone who is having a hectic morning, a sick hungry child, if you are on your last two cups of milk and flour….. Do NOT make these. They are thin and just…. Not pancakes. I am an excellent cook…. I followed the directions perfectly…. They just DO NOT WORK. I am flagging this on Pinterest so some other poor mother doesn’t have to put up with this after working a night shift…. Trying to get ready for day classes and trying to feed her hungry son. Sorry. I’m just so furious. ESP after reading the comments,

I’m sorry the recipe did not work for you. It does work. The batter is thin, but the pancakes do come out fluffy. The issues most people have had with the recipe is the amount of baking powder, they mis read the amount, or simply are baking with old baking powder. I have emailed many who have had issue with it, to find out when they made them again, they were just as photographed. I’d like you to know this is my recipe. I do love it and it works for me and my family along with many friends and readers and the tone you took in your comment is offensive to me. I am a person, who pours myself into my recipes and my blog and I don’t appreciate having someone be so irate, you apparently are having a bad day. Sick kid and last of the milk and although I’m sure it was upsetting not to have something work out the way you planned, you could have been nicer. My daughter makes these every week and has for years and she makes them each time she sleeps over a friends house too. The recipe does work for so many people. Flagging it on pinterest well, that is your right. I do ask that you act kindly. I certainly will try to help anyone that is having issues with any of my recipes.

I have had those mornings. I’m a mother of 3 boys under the age of 5 and every morning is hectic. I first discovered this recipe on June 7 (commented and pinned on Pinterest that day) and they came out perfect. I have made these every weekend AT LEAST once since that day and they always come out perfect. Perhaps in your rush of a morning you missed something? I know that is extra frustrating. Maybe you didn’t miss something and it’s just not the right recipe for you. Sometimes it’s easier to vent to the giver of he recipe than it is to take the step back and look for what went wrong. If you see this, please have a heart and not flag the recipe as bad. It truly is amazing and Diane doesn’t deserve to take flak for your bad day.

What are you talking about? I also followed the recipe perfecty, and these were not crepes. I consider myself an expert crepe maker, and this is so far from such a batter. So don’t call yourself an expert if you don’t know what crepes look like. And Don’t write comments like this in a hurry and frustration, you could have adjusted your recipe like many others aid, and it would be fine.

Kate Holloman says:

I love the flavor of these! I also think the batter may have been too thin, because I had a really hard time flipping them. I think I will also just reduce the milk next time, and it will be fine. Definitey saving this recipe!

I agree, numbers must be off or such. Followed to the letter and still very thin. Not too much spread, I had to add another tablespoon of bak pwdr, and had to pour small scoops. Tastes good but won’t use again

1. […] This stack of pancakes is made with my favorite pancake recipe. […]

2. […] pancake batter according to package or try this great Pancake Recipe. Have 3 inches of oil hot and ready. Drop a bit of batter in and see if it drops then floats and […]

3. […] Traditional Pancakes from Created by Diane […]

4. […] Diane – This is actually a food blogger I’ve been reading for quite a long time and her pancake recipe is the one we use every time. You simply have to try […]

5. […] used the pancake recipe suggested by Diane Schmidt of “Created by Diane” as being a good batter for making […]

6. […] I decided to slice them up and make a strawberry syrup, it’s seemed perfect because I was really was making my favorite pancake recipe too. […]

7. […] want to make a big stack of pancakes and drizzle them with Maple Syrup. Here is the recipe for the Yummiest Pancakes. You will want to pile on the Wet Walnuts too. I love the Wet Walnuts heated with diced apples all […]

8. […] Place them in a tortilla warmer like I did here. […]

9. […] fotos de Cafés na Cama pra inspirarem vocês! Caprichar na apresentação é tudo né!! Fotos: Created by Diane, Pinterest, e Entre Panelas Doces […]

10. […] Big surprise – pancakes. This is a pretty good recipe. […]

11. […] essa receita no Pinterest (pra variar) nest pin aqui, ela pertence ao blog  Created by Diane. É super fácil de fazer e fica uma delícia!! Então vamos aos […]