Years and years ago I walked into a deli and ordered a pasta salad.
From the moment the fork went in my mouth I knew I had found a new favorite.
It was a little different than this pasta salad, it was made with tortellini, but with the tortellini, three bites in and I felt it was too heavy.
The following week, I decided to make a version of what I had ordered, but I wanted to be able to enjoy it just a little longer, so I replaced the tortellini with bow ties, I also use penne for it.
For years this was my go to pasta salad.
Sadly after making it over and over, I had worn it out!
Really, we were all sort of tired of it.
And have been enjoying them all along.
Then I remembered we hadn’t had the Feta Basil Balsamic Pasta Salad in a few YEARS, time flew by fast.
We were heading to the beach and I knew this pasta salad just had to come along with us.
I love when old favorites resurface!
- 1 lb pasta (bow tie or penne work well)
- 6 small tomatoes cut into wedges or 12 grape tomatoes cut in half.
- 1 can sliced black olives drained and rinsed
- 2 oz feta cheese diced small
- 8 basil leaves fined chopped
- ¼ cup balsamic dressing (I use Newmans Own)
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- salt and pepper
- Cook pasta according to directions.
- Drain pasta, then add cold water and some ice cubes to bring the temperature of the pasta down quickly. Let it sit in the cold water for a few minutes. Change the water if it becomes warm.
- Drain the pasta and place it in a large bowl with the tomatoes, olives, cheese, basil, dressing, oregano.
- Mix really well.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
This pasta is perfect anytime really, but when you need food on the go, it ranks right up at the top. It won’t spoil quickly, perfect for just about any occasion.
It’s great with a loaf of crusty bread.
The other great thing is that this is not only great in the summer but can be made all year round!