Lemon Pepper Chicken Legs are an easy and flavorful dinner recipe that you’ll want to have on regular rotation! Crispy, salty, and perfectly lemony, we love Lemon Pepper Chicken Legs cooked on the grill or baked in the oven.
Oh, how I love lemon! So of course, Lemon Pepper Seasoning is one of my favorites. While I know that lemon pepper is popular on chicken wings, I prefer Lemon Pepper Chicken Legs.
The dark meat is so flavorful and chicken legs make great leftovers. I have found that cold chicken drumsticks are a delicious snack right out of the fridge!
There is one thing I’m really clear about…
I love lemon! And these lemon pepper chicken legs are at the top of my yummy list.
Oh my, lemon pepper.
A great flavor combo and wow it is tasty!
I know chicken wings are super popular, but I prefer legs!
These are baked, baked crispy on a rack over a baking sheet so they crisp up. These can be grilled if you prefer.
Here are some of my other savory lemon recipes:
- Lemon Vodka Sauce
- Lemon Dill Tuna Pasta Salad
- Lemon Chicken Orzo Soup
- Lemon Puttanesca
- Shrimp Roll with Lemon Basil Aioli
- Lemon Risotto
- and a yummy Lemon French Toast more sweet than savory but a must make none the less!
Marinate the chicken legs for about an hour, then place them on a rack over a baking sheet and bake until they are CRISP!
These are full of flavor, some garlic along with the lemon and pepper.
Lemon pepper seasoning is readily available in grocery stores. If you don’t happen to have it or can’t find it in time to make some, use coarse black pepper, lemon rind, onion powder, celery salt. I myself keep lemon pepper on hand and love it on a salad!
How Do I Make Homemade Lemon Pepper Seasoning?
Making your own Homemade Lemon Pepper Seasoning is so easy and it tastes great! All you need is some coarse black pepper, lemon rind, onion powder, and celery salt. Zest the lemon rind until you have about 2 Tablespoons, then spread on a foil-lined baking sheet. Bake on your oven’s lowest setting (or toaster oven) until dry, about 20-30 minutes. Cool completely and then crush finely with the back of a spoon. Combine with 1-2 tablespoons coarse black pepper and about 1 Tablespoon each of celery salt and onion powder. Add a bit at a time and check it as you go to suit your taste. Keep stored at room temperature in an airtight container.
How Long Should I Bake Chicken Legs?
After marinating for about an hour, I bake my Lemon Pepper Chicken Legs at 400 for about 40 minutes. When the internal temperature reads 165 when checked with a meat thermometer, they are done.
How Long Should I Grill Chicken Legs?
Chicken legs on the grill should cook over direct heat for about 45 minutes to reach an internal temperature of 165. This varies on how hot your coals are, if using charcoal. If cooking on a gas grill, set your temperature to medium-high.
How Do I Cook Chicken Legs in an Air Fryer?
Heat your air fryer to 400 and cook your chicken legs for 20 minutes, turning after 10 minutes. Check internal temperature after 20 minutes. If the chicken has not reached 165, add 5 minutes and check again, repeating until chicken legs are thoroughly cooked.
How Long is Leftover Chicken Good in the Fridge?
If tightly covered after cooling completely, leftover chicken legs should be good for at least 3 days and sometimes up to about a week.
How Long Should I Marinate Chicken?
For my Lemon Pepper Chicken Legs recipe, I recommend marinating for an hour. A bit longer than that would be fine, but I don’t recommend marinating for more than a few hours due to the lemon juice in the marinade.
If you love chicken as much as I do, you might want to check out a few of my other chicken recipes. Here are some of our favorites.
- Brown Sugar Soy Glazed Chicken
- Sour Cream Chicken Thighs
- Garlic Parmesan Chicken Legs
- Lemon Garlic Chicken Legs
- 1 1/2 tablespoon lemon pepper spice
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 lemon juiced (about 2 tablespoons) for the marinade
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 1/2 lbs chicken legs (about 7 legs)
- In a gallon plastic bag place lemon juice, garlic powder, olive oil, and 1 tablespoon along with chicken legs, marinade for 1 hour in the fridge (or longer if desired)
- Place the chicken legs on a rack over a baking sheet.
- Bake at 400° for 30 minutes, then turn the chicken legs over to crisp up the second side for 10 minutes.
- You'll want the chicken to be cooked well and be tender. Check the temperature with a thermometer.
- After baking shake some more lemon pepper seasoning before serving.