Blueberry Basil Lemonade

It’s officially summer in my house, the kids are off on summer break. Since they go back to school in August, they don’t call it summer vacation anymore, it’s just a break.

I love when my kids are home. Yes, no homework or projects may be one reason, but I really feel sometimes that I hardly get to see them and they are growing so fast!

I now have two in middle school. Wow has time flown by. I hope they aren’t too old to have a lemonade stand this year, because I think this Blueberry Basil Lemonade would be the best lemonade to serve at a lemonade stand, along with homemade cookies of course.

Look what I found….

This was taken 9 years ago. Wow!  my little girl has grown!

Don’t let time fly by, enjoy some delicious lemonade!

Blueberry Basil Lemonade

For each lemon or 1/2 cup lemon juice  add

1/4 cup sugar

1/4 cup blueberries

4 fresh basil leaves

12-18 oz water depending on how strong you like your lemonade

Blend it with an immersion blender then strain it. Pour over ice in a shaker, strain and serve. If you prefer your lemonade on ice, fill glass half way with ice and enjoy.

For delicious “hard lemonade” add a shot of vodka to your shaker and this will soon become your favorite cocktail.
Printable Blueberry Lemonade Recipe

I shared this recipe with Gourmet Orchards, I made this lemonade with their August Lemons and they were so delicious and juicy it didn’t require as many lemons and I would have normally used.

Comments

I love the color too, now I’m so glad when I have a few extra blueberries in the fridge…a pretty pretty treat is all I think about!

The basil gives it a nice slightly minty taste, not like mint as it’s so much stronger. My kids LOVED it so that is saying something. They ask for it when ever they see blueberries in the fridge, which is often.

Paula says

O.K., I can’t for the life of me figure out why this drink isn’t blue. I’ve read the recipe and the entire post 3 times. It’s got a 1/4 cup of blueberries for every lemon or 1/2 cup of lemon juice. I just thought it would be blue instead of pink. In any case, it does look refreshing and the pic of your daughter is too cute.

Paula you are so cute, yes the outside color of blueberries are blue, but when they are crushed, the juice is more pinkish/purple. Think wine and grapes on this one, the juice is not necessarily the color of the skin :) It turns pink, and I’m sure the yellowish lemonade helps it become more hot pink in color!

Becca says

Even the NAME is lovely!! It’s just an all around beautifully delicious beverage! Thanks for sharing it with us, Diane :)

Eve says

Hi Diane,
    Just started following your blog! Love all the recipes and cupcakes! So cute! I like to know if you still use the jars for your baking supples… I’m referring to this post from last year. http://www.createdby-diane.com/2010/01/organized-baking-supplies.html

Sorry that this post is regarding an old post. I’m reorganizing my pantry and thought about using those jars since I have some lying around but with the weather getting hot, I’m afraid of ants getting into them. Do you have problems with ants or bugs into flours, oats, etc?

Thanks!

Hi Eve,
      I’m so glad you asked, I LOVE the jars. I don’t have any trouble with them. No ants or bugs and they’ve been on the counter for over a year. Fingers crossed it stays that way. I go through the items really quickly and am refilling them often, really often! I really do LOVE them they make it so much easier to have the needed items on the counter! If you will be moving the jars from pantry to counter top be aware the lids can slide off like a Frisbee, I’ve replaced two so far. I now leave the jars on that side of the counter and measure from there it’s worked out well. The jars I have are anchor hocking sold at walmart and target, Anchor hocking sells replacement lids to I ordered them and they are as good as new :)
      Have a wonderful week. I hope you’ll stop back again soon!

I don’t know what went wrong with these instructions. I had water added in…I adjusted it. I would add 12-18 oz of water (as well as ice) the sweeter the blueberries the better and more colorful the drink will be. Hope that helps. Sorry for the error, thanks for bringing it to my attention. The taste and strength of lemons will be different based on variety also. (meyer lemons will be less tangy too)