The amazingly delicious flavors of pineapple and spam add a sweet and savory combination to fried rice that you’ll find irresistible!
Luau Fried Rice
I grew up hearing about spam, that is was in a can. That is about all I knew of it.
Fast forward many years and someone gave me a can of spam and said I needed to try it.
Well… it sat in my pantry for months. Then one day I decided to make it, and as they say, the rest is history.
Needless to say…
I loved it, but I only love it when it’s cooked CRISPY!
Now add that great crispiness with the sweetness of the pineapple and you have a sweet and savory dish and I just LOVE that.
This is one of my go-to dishes. I just love the flavor combo and so does my family.
I even love enjoying this for breakfast!If you like non-traditional breakfast foods take a look to see if missed my
One of the best things about this dish is that it’s easy to have the items needed on hand. I have eggs and cole slaw packs in my fridge all the time.
If you want more ideas to use a cole slaw pack in sign up HERE for email updates from Created by Diane, I developed recipes using a cole slaw pack that are easy and delicious!
If you want a fun dessert idea to make with this Luau Fried Rice, make these Luau Cupcakes. You can use the leftover pineapple juice for them.
After being in Hawaii, I came back with all sorts of fun recipe ideas and I’m just getting around to make some of them. This was top on my list!
- 1½ cups long grain rice
- 3 cups water
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup red pepper (sliced or diced)
- 6 green onions diced
- 4 eggs
- 1-14 oz can spam
- 1½ cups cole slaw mix (or sliced cabbage and carrot)
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon garlic
- 1 teaspoon ginger
- 3 drops chili oil
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 1 can pineapple chunks in juice (drained, reserve ¼ cup for sauce) Cut pineapple smaller if desired
- ¼ cup reserved pineapple juice
- Cook rice
- Bring water, rice, and salt to a boil, then simmer on low for 15-20 minutes until tender.
- Dice and cook spam.
- Scramble eggs and cook them in a pan over medium heat.
- Saute cole slaw mix with green onions and peppers.
- In a large skillet heat sesame oil with garlic and ginger for 1 minute then add in pineapple juice, soy sauce, chili oil and heat until hot, add in the rice and saute on high, then add in spam, pineapple, cole slaw mix, green onions, peppers and scrambled eggs.