Fried Oreo

Fried Oreos

Today is the first day of Fall. I didn’t want summer to be long gone before I share with you a fun treat. This summer while we were at the boardwalk we enjoyed Fried Oreos. Ever since we had them, no one could stop thinking about them. They were like Chocolate filled Zeppoles {think funnel cake}.

I don’t typically deep fry food at home. But this was for Oreos after all.

How could I resist?

I made two batters to see which one I like better. The yeast batter that is used for funnel cake, was very light and crispy, but it didn’t turn out well at all. The center of the Oreo dissolved and there wasn’t much batter to enjoy….when we had  them at the boradwalk, they were coated with a thicker layer of dough.

Since I like pancakes batter and it worked out well for

Pancake Cupcakes

Mango Pecan Pancake Pie and others here

fruit-filled-pancake-cake-recipe

and a fun Pancake Cake

I gave it a try and you know what..

It worked!

Fried Oreos

Fried Oreo

Ingredients
  • Pancake mix
  • oil
  • powdered sugar
Instructions
  1. Mix pancake batter according to package or try this great
  2. Pancake Recipe
  3. Have 3 inches of oil hot and ready.
  4. Drop a bit of batter in and see if it drops then floats and bubbles up.
  5. If it's not hot enough the Fried Oreos will be greasy.
  6. When your oil is hot enough dip each oreo in batter and then into the oil, flip each Oreo over so they are golden on both sides.
  7. It will only take a couple minutes until they are cooked.
  8. Strain on a tray with paper towels, then dust with powdered sugar while they are still hot.
  9. Let cool a minute or two before eating.

They were delicious and I am glad we made them, it brought back great memories of our summer vacation!

Do you have a great food memory of this summer? Did you make it or recreate it? Feel free to share it with me, I’d love to see it.

fried oreos @createdbydiane

Comments

Fried oreos are the absolute best!!! I tried those at a fair a few years ago and fell in love with them. Your homemade ones look absolute delicious!!! I am now craving them and it is still morning;-)

Amy says

I had one once, and decided that was a wonderful treat I only had to have once in a lifetime! But congratulations on figuring it out! I never would have dreamt it was pancake batter.

Paula says

I’m beginning to think that there is nothing you can’t make from pancake batter! Another unique and delicious treat from your kitchen.

I’ve seen these at some of the little festivals and fairs around here, but I can never bring myself to try them……..#1. for fear of being labeled at the fat girl eatting fried oreo, and #2… they are to darn expensive to me haha, But with this DIY home recipe. I might have to try them

I can only tell you that at the boardwalk they had a whole list of fried candy….I have a photo of the list if you’d like to see it…really is funny. Also tried fried pickles but haven’t had fried butter, have you?

Diane, You’re amazing! Can’t wait to see what you come up with next!

FYI~I was finally able to get onto my Munchkin Munchies fb page(as the admin), but it won’t let me comment as MM! Oh well.

Enjoy your weekend!

Lynne @ CookandBeMerry says

This has to be one of the most creative and different dessert bites I have ever seen. I love sweets sprinkled with powdered sugar. Your photographs are wonderful!

Yea I needed them so bad after eating them on the boardwalk, I just had to make them. Really easy!!! Love that. Happy New Year!