Be sure to pick up some fresh blueberries because you’ll want to make this PRONTO!
Blueberries and Cream Ice Cream
Blueberries have always been a true FAVORITE of mine
and adding them to freshly made ice cream,
well, it’s just delicious!
Oh, my goodness just look at that pretty swirl…
I just love the prettiness of blueberries, just don’t get them on a white shirt and everything will be fine.
There are so many reasons why this ice cream is such a WINNER,
fresh fruit in desserts are always a winner,
this ice cream is made with NO ice cream maker… WINNER
It’s easy to make just mix, pour and freeze… now that’s a WINNE.
See, this is a winner no matter how you scoop it!
You can heat an extra cup of blueberries with a tablespoon of sugar and press it through a strainer and the ice cream will have even more blueberry flavor and the ice cream will become a really pretty purple color.
If your blueberries aren’t flavorful, that does happen depending on the season. You could add a teaspoon of blueberry extract, you can order it from baking supply stores or from Amazon.
Fun varieties on this will be to add-in 4 oz whipped cream cheese along with some graham cracker crumbs, it’ll taste just like blueberry cheesecake! I added some in one time I made it but forgot to take photos!
- 1¼ cups blueberries
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1-14oz can sweetened condensed milk
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon blueberry extract (not necessary but if you have it adds delicious flavor)
- Heat 1 cup blueberries in microwave about 30 seconds or until heated and soft
- Press through a strainer to remove skin
- Heat remaining ¼ cup blueberries for 8-10 seconds these will be put in the ice cream whole
- In mixer bowl whip heavy cream on high until medium to stiff peaks
- Slowly add in the sweetened condensed milk and vanilla to the heavy cream
- In a loaf pan layer the ice cream mixture place dollops of pressed blueberries and swirl it with a toothpick or back of a spoon to gently mix in, then add a few heated blueberries and repeat.
- If you'd like the ice cream to be all "purple" in color, go ahead and mix the pressed blueberries into the ice cream mixture completely.
- Freeze for 4-6 hours or until firm.
- Add more blueberries if you aren't using blueberry extract.
- As with any fruit dessert, delicious tasting fruit will result in great tasting results. If the fruit is not very sweet or not full of flavor, add a tablespoon of powdered sugar at a time until the taste of the mixture is great. Adding lemon and sugar together will also result in great flavor, as well as lemon extract too.
Take a look at some of the other ice cream flavors I’ve made:
This super easy “faux” banana ice cream will have you eating dessert every night!
I know everyone seems to relate ice cream to summer, and I do too, but believe me that Apple Pie Ice Cream will bring you a warm fuzzy feeling all winter long!