Strawberry Margaritas are my moms favorite and I just knew I had to make a pie for her to enjoy on Mother’s Day. Combining the flavor of a frozen strawberry Margarita into a pie only left me with one dilemma….what type of crust to make for it. I like my margaritas with a salted rim and so does she, even if it’s a fruit Margarita, so something salty was in order. I’ve seen other desserts with a pretzel crust and I made pretzel toffee recently and thought it would be a great compliment to this pie.
It has been 98 degrees already, the heat kicked up about a week ago. A frozen dessert is really perfect timing. This pie is so refreshing and delicious. The pretzel crust is just the perfect compliment to the tangy sweet margarita filling. I’m going to make sure I have these ingredients on had as I know this will be my go-to recipe for summer gatherings.
I made the pie in this beautiful Le Creuset Pie dish and I just love that is is deep. Lots of filling makes for a wonderful pie! If you’d like this bakers set keep reading…..I’m giving one away to one lucky Created by Diane reader! The baking set includes a 10 1/2 inch Le Creuset pie plate, French trivet, pie bird and oven mitt.
I sliced a strawberry and lime for the top of the pie
- 2 cups crushed pretzels
- 6 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2-8oz. packages cream cheese
- 1-14oz can sweetened condensed milk
- 24 strawberries (about 1 quart)
- 2 limes, juiced
- ¼ cup tequila
- Place crushed pretzels and butter in bowl together and mix well, press into pie dish and bake at 350 degrees for 10 minutes.
- Cool pie crust completely.
- Puree strawberries in food processor with lime juice. Add to it the tequila.
- Beat room temperature cream cheese until smooth. Add sweetened. condensed milk, mix thoroughly. Mix in the strawberry mixture, blend thoroughly. Pour into pie crust and chill for at least 6 hours.
- *you can chill the baked crust in freezer to speed up this process.
- *if you like it really sweet, you can add sugar to the cream cheese, about ½ cup or you can add ½ cup strawberry margarita mix in place of the lime juice, or in addition to it. I think the proportions will be fine.
- * if you prefer a sweeter crust, add ¼ cup sugar to the pretzel crust mixture. Brown sugar would be nice too.
but then decided maybe it needed some…
I beat a cup of COLD heavy cream with 4 tablespoons powdered sugar and a teaspoon vanilla until stiff peaks formed.
A dollop of fresh whipped cream on top of this pie topped it off so nicely. I did refreeze the pie after I put the whipped cream on so that it would stay neat when I sliced it, but you can top the pie with the soft whipped cream and serve it immediately.
The salty pretzel crust is just as wonderful as a salted rim on a margarita.
GIVEAWAY CLOSED To ENTER to win the Le Creuset Baker’s Set Giveaway: The giveaway has ended and the winner Rhonda has been contacted. Thank you all for entering! *Additional Entries: Leave a comment for EACH additional entry you do letting me know you’ve completed the requirements. If you already do one of the entries, it counts. If you do part of an entry just complete the entry and it counts. sign up to receive Created by Diane’s email subscription and you’ll have all the latest posts I write delivered to your inbox. Share: this post on facebook: ” Le Creuset GIVEAWAY and Strawberry Margarita Pie @createdbydiane http://su.pr/1GRbJA ” then comment below with the link. Like Created by Diane on facebook and wish me a “Happy Mother’s Day” then come back and leave a comment telling me. Follow Le Creuset on Twitter and tweet Win a @LeCreuset Baker’s Set @createdbydiane http://su.pr/1GRbJA #giveaway Like LeCreuset on facebook then leave a comment below
Giveaway is open only to US residents only. Must be 18 or older. The giveaway will end on May 17 , 2012 at 9PM PST. The winner will be contacted, then have 24 hours to reply or another winner will be chosen. Created by Diane and and Le Creuset are not responsible for lost or undelivered emails.
* I was provided a Bakers Set from Le Creuset, however all opinions are my own.
If you like the idea of a Margarita Pie, you may like these too..