Oatmeal Cupcakes with Cinnamon Sugar Frosting Recipe

Oatmeal isn’t just for breakfast!

I ran out of the house late today and was in a huge hurry, my watch stopped working days ago and I haven’t had time to get a new one. It didn’t need a battery. I replaced the battery last month. It’s been loosing minutes and I didn’t realize until last week, when someone was picking me up and I wasn’t ready. I’m typically on time. When I got int the car, I realized the time on the dashboard was twelve minutes later than I thought it was. Twelve minutes can seem like forever, especially when you are waiting for someone. Kelly is a great friend and she didn’t leave me behind.

I should have had some of these ready, they would have been perfect.

It was 7 am and neither one of us had eaten breakfast, we knew it was going to be a long day. We were going to Los Angeles to Blog World. If you are a blogger and have the opportunity to go to Blog World I’d recommend it. The next Blog World is in NY. It was very informative.  We not only got to see people we already know and catch up, we met new friends like Ted Rubin and were filled with information from beginning to end. Great information from Seyd of WPbeginner. I even got to talk with Patty who is the Director of Business Development for Blog World and find out we are practically neighbors. It really is a small world.

These cupcakes would have been great, but then I would have been way later than twelve minutes.

Oatmeal Cupcakes with Cinnamon Sugar Frosting

1 Box golden vanilla cake mix, plus ingredients to make cake according to package

1 teaspoon cinnamon

3 tablespoons brown sugar

1 1/2 cup Old Fashioned Quaker Oats

Mix according to package directions, add in the cinnamon sugar and oats and stir until blended. Bake and then let cool before frosting. I use dark coated cupcake pans and bake at 325 degrees.

Cinnamon Sugar Frosting Recipe

1 cup butter

4 cups powdered sugar

1 teaspoon  vanilla

1/2 teaspoon cinnamon

3 tablespoons milk

Beat butter until smooth add powdered sugar, vanilla and cinnamon along with 3 tablespoons milk. Mix until blended.

I piped the cupcakes with  a pastry bag and  #857 tip.

I have lots of Oatmeal Favorites:

Pumpkin Oatmeal Cookies

cookie

Salted Caramel Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies

Caramel Apple Oatmeal Cobbler

Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Coconut Cookies

Cinnamon Apple Hodge Podge Pie

Hodge Podge Pie

What is your favorite Oatmeal Recipe?

Comments

Natalie @ Cooking for My Kids says

I love oatmeal. Thank you so much for sharing all of the delicious oatmeal recipe ideas!

And, those cupcakes…yummy! Totally could have them for breakfast. :)

oh yes I’m with you on the no raisins…I make them, but rarely eat them :) I was surprised how much we all liked the cupcakes with oatmeal.

I like the oatmeal cupcakes, but the frosting looks awesome. I think the right frosting is important. I’ve had cupcakes and cakes where a nasty frosting ruined it.

Paula says

If you brought me these cupcakes I wouldn’t care if your were 12 or 20 minutes late! Love the look of these and even better that they are made with oatmeal.

Emily (Roots+Platters) says

I love oatmeal for breakfast… and now I will love it even more as a cupcake! (Is that wrong? Cupcakes for breakfast… *sigh*) :)

Brooke B says

I saw this recipe and just had to try it, so I ended up baking a batch today for my grandmother’s birthday! They were very yummy, but I did have a few comments. I used regular old fashion oats, and think I would have liked them better if I had used quick oats instead because the texture of uncooked oats stayed in the cupcakes even after baking them. It should also be noted that because I am not a huge fan of regular buttercream, I actually added half a package of cream cheese in to the frosting, and absolutely loved the combination. But thank you so much for this idea! I can’t believe I’ve never though of adding oats to yellow cake mix. What a simple, yet delicious addition.

Jesus Quiles says

Hey dianne I love these oatmeal cupcakes at least how they look haven’t try them yet. Can you tell me at what temperature and how much time to bake them. Thanks

I used a dark coated cupcake pan and baked my cupcakes at 325 degrees for 15-18 minutes as the package directed. Check timing at minimum baking time according towhat mix you use and test every minute until they are not sticking on toothpick.