Have you ever wanted to make Hot and Sour Soup at Home? This simple flavorful recipe is better than takeout!
Soup… is so SUPER delicious!
I love quick easy soups like this that are packed with flavor and don’t take but minutes to make!
For as long as I can remember I’ve loved hot and sour soup, it reminds me of cold rainy days but the best part about it is that it doesn’t need to be cold or rainy to enjoy it.
So whip up a pot of this soup and enjoy, it’s great with a toasted baguette for lunch or dinner or to serve right in the middle of the day!
Another favorite copycat recipe is my chicken and sausage fried rice, while most Chinese food restaurants use chicken or pork, this one with sausage is so yummy, I couldn’t resist sharing it.
You won’t believe how easy this is
- chicken stock
- chili paste
- soy sauce
- sesame oil
whisk all these items together in a pot over medium-high heat.
Bring it to a boil, then remove the pan to stir in the eggs.
Lastly, add in the mushrooms, onions, tofu and you’re all set, give the mushrooms a few minutes to cook and then scoop it into a bowl and enjoy!
This is one of those recipes once you make it, you make it over and over. We love mushrooms here and if you do too. Be sure to see my other mushroom recipes.
What can you add instead of tofu?
Bean sprouts are a great addition to this soup.
What other vegetables can I add to this recipe?
You can add spinach or kale to enhance this soup
How to make this soup a complete meal?
There are two things you can add to this soup to make it a complete meal, add a cup of cooked chicken, and a cup or two of cooked rice. They will put this great soup to the “over the top delicious” category!
What can I add to spice this soup up some more?
Add some crushed red pepper to this soup for a real nice spice.
Hot and Sour Soup
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons chile paste
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger fresh or dry
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 egg + 1 egg white mixed in a bowl
- 3 green onions
- 4-6 oz mushrooms sliced I used baby portabella
- 2-3 oz diced tofu
- In a 4-quart pot whisk chicken stock, chili paste, ginger, soy sauce, rice vinegar cornstarch, and sesame oil, bring to a boil over medium-high heat.
- Bring it to a boil.
- Remove pan to a cool burner to add eggs. Stir broth into a circle as you swirl in the eggs.
- Place back on medium-high heat, add in sliced mushrooms and tofu. Heat for 3-4 more minutes.