If you like wine and cheese you will LOVE this dinner!
Wine and Cheese for DINNER!
This Creamy Chicken and Mushrooms with Wine Sauce is great for wine and cheese lovers! It’s absolute comfort food at it’s finest.
Don’t be intimidated by the wine – this deliciously cozy meal is super quick and simple to make. I serve my Creamy Chicken with Mushrooms and Wine Sauce with Cheesy Rice and Roasted Cauliflower with Leeks and it’s ready in 30 minutes! Who says that quick meals can’t be a little fancy?
I start by making the rice first. I used Sargento Shredded Cheese. It is delicious and easy and convenient to use. Simply cook rice on the stove in a skillet and then add in cream and cheese. This rice is so creamy, cheesy, and comforting — everyone loves it.
This chicken dish comes together very quickly. Lots of time is reduced by cutting the thickness of the chicken in half as well as cutting the pieces lengthwise. This allows the chicken to cook a lot faster, saving you time in the kitchen.
The cauliflower and leeks are sliced, drizzled with olive oil, sprinkled with salt, and roasted. Simple and delicious!
Oh… comfort food is on the table!
This dish will have you begging for seconds.
The chicken in cooked in a delicious wine sauce with mushrooms and leeks served with roasted cauliflower and cheesy rice.
I was given a list of items to use to create a meal. The theme is comfort food. The list of secret basket ingredients included Cauliflower, Cremini Mushrooms, Leeks and Sargento Cheddar Cheese. Many thoughts went through my head about what I was going to make and one of the first things to come to mind was wine and cheese and cheese and well those two items pair together.
I started by making the rice first.
Oh, how I love cheese! Just one look at this and I want to know where my fork is.
You cook rice on the stove in a skillet and then add in cream and cheese. This cheesy rice is such a fun side dish, everyone just loves it. It’s creamy and cheesy and easy to make.
What Kind of White Wine is Best for Cooking?
I recommend a dry white wine – Sauvignon Blanc, Pinot Grigio, or Chardonnay. A super expensive bottle of wine is not necessary. My rule of thumb is to use wine that I would actually drink! If it doesn’t taste good to you in a glass, it won’t taste good to you in a recipe, so keep that in mind.
What Can I Substitute for Wine in a Recipe?
If you don’t want to use wine, you can substitute chicken broth for the wine in this Creamy Chicken and Mushrooms with Wine Sauce recipe.
How Long is Creamy Chicken with Mushrooms and Wine Sauce Good in the Refrigerator?
Stored tightly covered, this Chicken with Wine Sauce is good for 4 days. I recommend reheating on the stove over low heat, adding a bit of chicken broth if it’s too thick.
What Kind of Mushrooms is Best to Use in Pasta Dishes?
For Creamy Chicken and Mushrooms, I prefer to use crimini mushrooms. If you can’t find those, sliced baby Portabellas are great as well.
What Can I Substitute for Heavy Cream in a Sauce Recipe?
If you do not have heavy cream, milk or half and half will work in a pinch. Just keep in mind that your sauce will not be as thick.
I love this dish for a date night at home – it’s so simple but feels special. Here are a few of our other favorite “fancy” dinners. You’ll be surprised at how simple and easy they are.
This is the skillet I use and love and I use it so much I have 3 of them and more in other sizes too, it’s a kitchen must-have.
- 1 cup Sharp Cheddar Cheese
- 1 cup long-grain rice
- 2 cups water
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream or milk
- I used a 10 inch cast iron skillet to cook the rice.
- Saute one tablespoon butter with 1 cup rice for 1 minute until the rice is all coated and almost getting a white to golden color.
- Add 2 cups of water and salt and stir.
- Cover and cook for 20 minutes.
- Remove from burner and let stand 5 minutes (do not remove lid)
- After the 5 minutes, remove the lid and stir milk and the remaining tablespoon of butter into the rice and then add in the cheese, reserving a tablespoon or two for the top.
- Mix well and top with reserved cheese and serve.
This chicken dish comes together very quickly. Lots of time is reduced by cutting the thickness of the chicken in half as well as cutting the pieces lengthwise allows the chicken to cook very quickly.
- 2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 cup white wine
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 leek sliced fine
- 8 cremini mushrooms, sliced
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream (or more if more sauce is wanted up to ¼ cup)
- Cut chicken breasts thin, Heat skillet over medium high heat, place a tablespoon of oil in the pan and arrange chicken so the pieces don't overlap.
- After 2 minutes, turn all the pieces of chicken over and add the leeks and mushrooms.
- Pour in the wine.
- Mix the chicken stock with cornstarch and pour that in the pan.
- Cover and simmer on low until chicken is fully cooked to 165 degrees on a meat thermometer.
- (about 15 minutes)
- Remove lid and whisk in heavy cream.
Roasted Cauliflower with leeks accompanied this dish, I love the colors of cauliflower that I have found in the grocery stores, I’ve seen purple, yellor and green. I found green this time, it’s a light green and roasted with the leeks and some olive oil and salt it’s simple and delicious. Slice the cauliflower into thick slices, place them on a baking sheet with a thinly sliced leek and drizzle with olive oil and add some salt. Roast at 400 degrees for 10 minutes.
This dish all came together in 30 minutes!
This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of Sargento. The opinions and text are all my own.