Oatmeal cookies, coconut cookies… love them both. Combine them together, and SHAZAM, we’ve got something oh-so-delicious!
I’ve always been a fan of oatmeal,
both for breakfast and in baked goods
A bowl of oatmeal in the morning is hearty, comforting, filling… substantial.
Oatmeal imparts a distinct, desirable flavor and texture to every recipe, and oatmeal cookies are one of my favorites… and I know I’m not the only one.
They certainly have a long-standing tradition for being popular worldwide since oatmeal first showed up in cookie form in Scotland in the late 1800s. They knew a good thing when they tried it.
Oatmeal cookies are so popular that April 30th is National Oatmeal Cookie Day!
Oh, and I adore coconut confections, too… pies, cakes, cookies, I love them all.
So what is it about this combination of hearty oats and tropical coconut that is beyond tasty?
I guess it’s sort of like other great pairings such as bread and cheese; wine and chocolate; Fred and Ginger. Oops, I digress. You get the picture.
This recipe is super easy and quick to make, too, because there’s no refrigeration time, no rolling and cutting out.
Mix and bake, easy-peasy.
These cookies don’t fall flat, either, having a nice domed appearance.
Mmmm, and these cookies have just the right “chew” – not too chewy, not too crisp… just right!
So when you’re craving cookie goodness, without any fuss – and want it fast and easy – give these oatmeal coconut cookies a try.
You’ll be so HAPPY you did!
- ½ cup butter
- ¾ cup brown sugar
- ½ cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- ½ teaspoon coconut extract
- 1½ cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2½ cups old-fashioned oats
- 1 cup coconut
- 4 oz dark chocolate
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil
- In large mixer bowl cream butter and sugar together.
- Add in eggs and coconut extract and mix well.
- Add in flour, baking powder and oats along with coconut and blend on medium until all combined.
- Use a 3 tablespoon scoop for large cookies this will make 24 cookies.
- You can place additional coconut on top of the cookie dough that will get toasty (about ¼ cup additional coconut)
- Bake onto parchment lined baking sheets at 350 degrees for 8-10 minutes.
- Once cookies are baked and cooled.
- Melt chocolate with coconut oil in the microwave for 30-second intervals until completely melted.
- Dip the bottom of the cookies into chocolate and place them back on one parchment lined baking sheet and place in the fridge for a few minutes for the chocolate to set.