There are so many things I just LOVE about toffee,
you can change the nuts to your liking if you prefer walnuts, almonds or even pistachios.
So many options…
You can use milk, dark or semi-sweet chocolate. I like dark or semi-sweet.
It does not take a long time to make toffee.
I find it’s the easiest way to make toffee, is to make it with a thermometer.
If you don’t use a thermometer you can drop some into a small bowl of cold water and when it forms a ball that hardens it’s ready, it will be the color of a paper bag…
that is the easiest way to describe the proper shade of toffee.
The steps to make toffee is to melt the butter, add the sugar.
Bring it to a boil and when it comes to 285°
Pour it onto a baking sheet,
spread it out.
Wait a minute.
Then add the chocolate chips, they will begin to melt.
Spread the chocolate over the toffee,
Allow the toffee to cool at room temperature or put it in the fridge until chilled.
Break into small pieces.
Buttery and sweet, toffee is irresistible!
Toffee is a great item to bring to parties, give as holiday gifts and to enjoy anytime.
I love that my daughter wants to make this with me every year!
Hope you give it a try!
- 1 lb butter (I use salted butter)
- 2 ¼ cups sugar
- 2 cups chocolate chips (I use semi-sweet or dark chocolate)
- 1 cup chopped nuts (almonds, walnuts or your favorite nuts)
- In a heavy bottom saucepan over high heat melt the butter
- then add the sugar and bring it to a boil
- stirring constantly for the next 10 minutes or until it reaches a light caramel color. (285 degrees)
- test by dropping a spoonful into cold water until it reaches hard crack candy stage (forms a ball easily and hardens) sounds more difficult than it really is and it’s a perfect time to see the real color. Undercooked and the toffee will stick to your teeth for days, overcooked will taste burnt.
- Pour directly onto a baking sheet with edges wait until it firms up but is still hot (3-4 minutes or so) then pour on an entire package of chocolate chips give them a few minutes to start to melt then spread the chocolate to the edges like you are icing a cake.
- sprinkle on chopped nuts and allow to harden I let it cool on the counter for a ½ hour then put it in the fridge for 20-30 minutes and then bread into pieces.