Chocolate cookies always remind me of my childhood,
every once in a while my mom would buy chocolate sugar cookies.
Specifically Archway Dutch Chocolate Cookies,
They were slightly firm on the outside and tender and chewy inside.
A while back I saw Joan from Chocolate Chocolate and More post her Chocolate Sugar Cookies I knew I had to give them a try…
and I dreamed they would be similar to the Archway cookies I used to love.
I’m SO glad I did.
They are so delicious and have a bit of a fudgy texture inside which makes them EXTRA delicious. Chewy, fudgy, and chocolately, those and all the needed qualities for a fantastic chocolate cookie to me.
Mix up the cookie dough, chill the dough, roll it into balls and then into sprinkles and bake.
This is one recipe I will be making over and over and just had to share it with you.
- 1 cup butter
- 1½ cups brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ¾ cup cocoa powder (I used dutch cocoa powder)
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ cup chocolate sprinkles
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- in mixer bowl cream butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy
- add in one egg at a time mixing completely after each addition
- mix in vanilla
- in separate bowl place cocoa powder, flour, baking soda and salt and mix until well blended
- add flour mixture to mixer bowl with butter and brown sugar on low until fully combined
- cover bowl with plastic wrap and place in fridge until dough is chilled, at least 30 minutes.
- roll two tablespoons of dough into a ball, then into the sprinkles
- place each ball of dough on a prachment lined baking sheet 2 inches apart and bake for 9-11 minutes, edges will be slightly firm
- allow cookies to cool on baking sheet
Roll the cookie dough in sugar before baking to give them the classic Archway Dutch Chocolate Cookie texture and taste I remember so well.