Halloween Cake with a surprise inside

The outside may look like a typical Halloween Cake,

but with Halloween you can never be sure what you’ll find…

You didn’t expect this did you?

It reminds me of when you go trick or treating to someones house on Halloween night and it seems all calm and normal from the outside. Then they answer the door and dressed up in some creepy scary costume and the eerie music starts playing and you think to yourself, Do I really want their candy?

Well inside this cake it’s not really eerie or scary, but it catches you off guard.

It all started with this.

I prepared two batches of white cake mix, from a large bag mix. I seperated them into four bowls to tint.

I mixed fun colors of orange, green, purple and white, yes I made it even whiter with Americolor white food coloring.

I wanted to make sure it stood out against the other colors and it worked.

I put different amounts of each cake mix into two 7 inch pans and created a swirled design.

The cakes were baked according to the directions and cooled.

I leveled off the tops so they would stack neatly.

I inverted the top cake so the design would not be identical but a mirror image once sliced with the bottom cake.

Now for the frosting.

I started with 2 store bought chocolate frosting and tinted it black. (using Americolor Super Black Coloring)  I used some in between the two cakes. Then I heated it in the microwave for 30 seconds and stirred it, and poured it on top of the cake.

Yes, poured it.

I wanted a quick and easy way to frost the cake.

I then spread it out with an offset spatula.

I didn’t fuss with it, just gave the sides a quick swoop and smoothed out the top.

I added white frosting to write Boo!

Then added black jimmies to the edge.

The fun began when I cut into it, what a fun cake!

Halloween Cake @createdbydiane

More Halloween treats:

Candy-Corn-Cake-@createdbydiane

Candy Corn Cake

Chocolate-chip-mummy-cake-@createdbydiane.jpg

Chocolate Chip Mummy Cake

Chocolate-Pumpkin-Cut-Out-Cookies-decorated-like-Mummys-for-Halloween-@createdbydiane

Chocolate Pumpkin Mummy Cut Out Cookies

Salty-Sweet-Pretzel-Toffee-@createdbydiane.jpg

Salty Sweet Pretzel Toffee

Halloween-Treats-Created-by-Diane-530x530

More Halloween Treats

Comments

I love it! The colors are so fun! And apparently I need to find some of that white coloring because I love the contrast between the white and all the swirled colors!

Eve says

that looks so cool! diane i was wondering where do you buy cupcake liners from? can you recommend a vendor? Thanks!

Kathy Murphy says

I totally didn’t see that coming.! What a great idea – i’m not just saying this either …. I am going to make that cake.

Kristin says

I want to do this, that is fantastic!!! Did you use 2 white cake mixes? Or is it just one mix in layers, it looks tall? Are the food colorings, gel or liquid food colorings?

Hi Kristin,
      I used two batches of cake mix from a large bag I get at smart and final. I used two 7 in cake pans. The food coloring I use is Americolor it’s a gel color with little taste. I would make plenty of cake mix if I were you, it looks nice because it’s tall. Take into account the size of the pans you are using also. I can’t wait to hear how it comes out :)
      ~Diane

Sherry D Brice says

I am SOOOOOOO gonna make this cake. What fun the kids will have eating it once they stop giggling. :~)

Great surprise!! The inside is my kind of scary:) The colors definetly have their own spookiness going on! And it looks delicious… I want to lick some of that chocolate frosting!

Jessie B. @ Possible Baker

Tabbi says

This is great…. I was looking for an idea for my child’s birthday which is today! So I’ve baked the cakes, they’re cooling right now and I can’t wait to frost it and cut into it! Thank you ever so much for the idea…. This is great and something I will be teaching my daughter!!!!

@—{——————

Anne Burgess says

Love the spectacular color surprise! Have to make one for Hallow’s Eve ; ) Thank you for sharing your secret-we all love it! <3