The perfect cupcakes for all Halloween celebrating, from dessert for weeknight meals to parties, and celebrating with family and friends.
Where’s my MUMMY?
Oh, what cute little cupcakes!
I made 4 dozen of these cute little guys for a bake sale, when I dropped them off I noticed they didn’t have very many donations. So, I went back home and made a few more dozen. The next day a friend told me she heard the mummies were the first to go. YAY! I’m so glad they were a hit.
I just think they are the cutest ever!
Below you find the how-to video as well.
Here is my recipe for 12 chocolate cupcakes
and below you’ll find the recipe for 36 cupcakes so you can make however many you need.
Allow the cupcakes to cool completely.
Place white buttercream frosting into a piping bag with a flat tip, or angled tip (a leaf tip is great)
Pipe strips of frosting over the cupcakes.
To make the eyes, take a small amount of frosting and add black food coloring. Place make eyes and you’re all set.
Or you can make royal icing eyes ahead of time and just add a dot of frosting and pop them in place.
These are always a huge hit at Halloween!
and if you know me well you know it drove me nuts that they weren’t all exactly the same… but that is often the best part about relaxing and making things and enjoying the process. Cooking and crafting go hand in hand when it comes to decorating, have fun with it. I’ve since made many-many batches of mummies, I make them just about every year.
I bring them to parties or just surprise everyone with some around Halloween time. They get rave reviews, taste delicious, and are simple to decorate, so no reason to stress about them at all.
I love these disposable cupcake trays especially when I have to bring cupcakes and I’m not sure if I’ll remember the container and don’t want them to squish and get messed up.
Be sure to check out the video below to see how easy these mummy cupcakes are to decorate.
And if you think these mummy cupcakes are cute, check out this fun mummy cake!
Delicious chocolate cupcakes frosting with buttercream for the cutest mummy cupcakes perfect for Halloween!
Servings: 36 cupcakes
- 1 cup unsweetened cocoa
- 2 cups boiling water
- 2 3/4 cups sifted or whisk flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup butter
- 2 1/2 cups sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Prepare cupcake pans with cupcake liners. This recipe makes 36 cupcakes.
- In a medium bowl combine cocoa with boiling water mixing with a wire whisk until smooth. Cool completely.
- Sift flour with baking soda, salt, and baking powder.
- In a large bowl beat on medium-high, butter, sugar, eggs, and vanilla until light for about 3 minutes.
- On a low speed mix in flour mixture and cocoa mixture Do not overbeat.
- Pour into a cupcake-lined pan.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes.
- Test with a toothpick, you want it to be cooked by not so completely dry, the cupcakes take time to cool so a slightly moist crumb is good for cupcake testing.
Buttercream frosting is perfect for decorating cakes, cupcakes and fill desserts. Add gel food coloring, and additional flavors for the perfect dessert.
Servings: 2 cups
- 1 cup butter if making it in hot weather use half vegetable shortening
- 4-6 cups powdered sugar start with 4 cups, add more only if needed.
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 tablespoons heavy cream or use vanilla coffee creamer.
- In the bowl of a mixer beat butter until smooth, fluffy, and pale in color.
- Add powdered sugar, vanilla, and heavy cream or creamer.
- Mix on medium until smooth and creamy.
- If the temperature is really HOT or humid outside mix 1/2 butter 1/2 shortening or all shortening.
- Add more powdered sugar if you add a lot of food coloring or extracts.
- For very white frosting, use all shortening, and add a few drops of Americolor white food coloring or a tiny drop of lavender/purple food coloring to offset the yellow in the butter to make it bright white.