As soon as the cool weather hits and the crispness is in the air…
it’s PEPPERMINT time!
These adorable pink angels are perfect for your holiday baking needs.
I just LOVE using a gingerbread cookie cutter for cookies that are not exactly gingerbread boys.
Their cute little faces are so sweet!
Now you can ice these if you prefer, they are flavorful all on their own so the choice is yours.
I used royal icing to decorate the faces, you can use any frosting or icing if you are making other cookies and have extra, or here is my recipe for royal icing.
When making cut out cookies be sure that the butter temperature is at room temperature but still cool, not warm and soft.
The warmer the butter the more the cookies will spread when they are baked.
Thick baking sheets work best.
Be sure to get my COOKIE GUIDE it’s FREE for all types of tips and tricks for great cookies.
Keep in mind is you oven temperature and time.
Don’t overbake the cookies, they will turn brown and no longer look pretty and pink.
An oven thermometer is great to have to be sure your oven are at the correct temperature.
These angels are so cute, you can almost hear them SINGING!
You can make the cookies any color you prefer, or leave them the creamy color of the dough, you can ice them with pink icing if you prefer.
Besides peppermint candy canes, peppermint cookies are so fun at the holidays. You can also dip these in chocolate if you want the chocolatey pepperminty flavor!
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- 1½ cups sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 drops soft pink color or the amount you like to get the color achieved you prefer
- 2¾ cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- In large mixing bowl beat butter with sugar for 2 minutes.
- Add in the egg, extracts and pink color.
- On medium speed mix in flour, baking powder and salt.
- You'll know the cookie dough is completely combined as it comes away from the sides of the bowl easily.
- Form a ball with the cookie dough and cut it in half and roll out one-half in between wax paper.
- I use wooden dowels that are ¼" thick to be sure the dough is even.
- Even cookie dough turns out evenly baked cookies.
- Use a gingerbread cookie cutter to cut cookies and place them on a parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Bake cookies in a 400-degree oven for 7-9 minutes.
- Allow cookies to cool on baking sheet before moving cookies.
- Use royal icing or other icing or frosting to decorate the angel cookie faces.