Coffee and Cinnamon are right smack in the middle of this chocolate cake and believe me that is exactly where they belong!
I took my favorite chocolate cake recipe that my mom has made me for so many birthdays, it’s hard to keep track.
The addition of coffee and cinnamon will now be a permanent addition to this amazing chocolate cake recipe I’ve been making for years.
The frosting on this cake is light and creamy and one of my favorites. I recall my mom making this frosting on cakes since I was a kid. My family loves it.
To me this is the perfect cake.
Rich and delicious, but you are able to slice a BIG piece and enjoy it!
- 1 cup unsweetened cocoa
- 2 cups boiling water
- 2¾ cups sifted flour
- 2 tsp. baking soda
- ½ tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. baking powder
- 1 cup butter
- 2½ cups sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 4 teaspoons instant coffee
- 2 3.4 oz boxes chocolate instant pudding
- 16 oz. heavy cream
- 16 oz. milk
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon instant coffee
- Preheat oven 350 degrees
- In medium bowl combine cocoa with water mixing with wire whisk until smooth.
- Cool completely.
- Whisk flour with baking soda, salt, and baking powder so there are no lumps.
- In large bowl beat on high, butter, sugar, eggs, and vanilla, cinnamon and coffee until light about 5 minutes.
- On low speed beat in flour mixture and cocoa mixture.
- Do not over beat.
- Prepare 3 8" baking pans with parchment on the bottom and baking spray on the sides for easy removal of cake after it's baked.
- Divide the batter evenly in the 3 pans.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool cake in pan, then turn cake out on cooling rack to be sure they are completely cooled. I refrigerate my cake so it's cold when the frosting goes on. A couple hours or overnight.
- Prepare frosting right before you are ready to use it.
- Whip cream, milk and pudding on high until fluffy.
- Place about 1 cup of frosting in between the layers of cake and smooth it out with a spatula.
- Place the remaining frosting on the top and sides of cake and smooth nicely.
- Dust top with cinnamon and coffee through a sifter. Then add sprinkles before icing sets up.
- Place cake in refrigerator to set up. Remove cake 30 minutes before serving so it's easy to slice and not too cold.