This amazingly delicious one-dish meal may just blow your mind how easy it is!
Let’s first talk about the Instant Pot, WOW are they popular!
It’s a pressure cooker (and so much more) for today I’ll focus on the pressure cooker part and the saute function.
This recipe is ALL made in the pot of the pressure cooker, it’s so simple.
Pasta cooks in 1/2 the time and even quicker since it boils the water so quickly.
I get asked ALL THE TIME to make mac and cheese, and this is by far the most requested version!
Who doesn’t like jalapeno and bacon (and if you’re afraid of spice don’t worry you can adjust it to your liking)
Since they sell cooked bacon, it’s so easy to make this dish quickly.
Cooking pasta in the instant pot is pretty easy. I tried many shapes and they all came out great.
A few tricks to remember
- Start with warm tap water.
- Timing, cut the lowest time on the pasta box in half and then take away 1 more minute.
- Cover the pasta with water so it’s all covered by about half an inch.
You’ll drain any excess water off the pasta when it’s done cooking.
When the pasta is done cooking, leave it in a strainer in the sink.
Put the instant pot on “saute”
Add the butter, jalapeno, and bacon,
then add in the flour and stir to heat thoroughly *the longer you cook the jalapeno the less spicy it’ll be, leave out the rib and the seeds if you like it mild. If you like it spicy just saute the jalapeno for a minute, cook it for about 2 minutes if you prefer more medium flavor. (the flavor and heat of the jalapeno will depend on the jalapeno pepper itself, some are spicier than others. I regularly use jalapenos and can tell as soon as I slice it how spicy it’ll most likely be)
Then you’ll slowly add the milk/cream ( I prefer whole milk and a little cream, if I only have skim milk I add more cream… you get the idea, right)
Stir until the sauce is thick, then add in the pasta and give it a stir.
Top with more bacon and some fresh diced jalapeno if you like it with a kick!
I used a traditional pressure cooker for years and while I like it, I can honestly say I love the instant pot! It’s quicker, easier (since there is no monitoring the pressure) and I use it every week.
I never thought I’d use it for pasta, but recently I made 4 lbs of pasta and SURE wish I had used the instant pot, so I put my mind to it and tried the instant pot to cook pasta for DAYS, and used rigatoni, penne, elbows, and wavy egg noodles, the results were great.
You can even saute meat then add sauce then pour back in the strained cooked pasta for a quick and easy meal. Don’t forget to add some diced onions and garlic for extra flavor!
For more instant pot recipes look here:
- Cooking chicken in the instant pot
- Teriyaki Pork Chops in the instant pot
- Instant Pot Hard Boiled Eggs
I think the Instant Pot is great for so many people and great for RVing, college students, people who want to simplify cooking, easy to operate for beginner cooks. I’m working on more posts using the Instant Pot, I use it a lot to cook and shred chicken, beef, and pork and enjoy eating tacos, nachos and “taco bowls” most!
- 1 lb pasta (I used rigatoni package said cook9-10 minutes, I cooked in the instant pot for 4 minutes)
- 2 cups cheddar cheese
- 1 jalapeno pepper, diced (if you prefer mild, remove rib and seeds)
- 5 sliced cooked bacon, chopped (or more if preferred)
- In the pot of the instant pot place pasta, cover with warm tap water.
- Cook for half the time of the pasta package minus 1 minute.
- Release the pressure when the timer goes off.
- Drain pasta in a strainer.
- Place the pot back in the instant pot and turn the saute feature on
- Add butter, jalapeno and saute, Add chopped bacon.
- Add in flour and stir until combined. Slowly add in milk until creamy.
- Stir in cheese until combined.
- Place pasta into pot and stir.
- It's ready to serve, top with additional bacon and jalapeno.