These cookies bring back all my childhood memories! So delicious and cute too. These mint chocolate meringue cookies take a little time to bake slow and are so worth the wait.
You can pipe these meringue cookies with a star tip and dip the bottoms in melted chocolate,
or place them by spoonfuls and add chocolate chips to them,
for IRRESISTIBLE Mint Chocolate Chip Meringue Cookies!
These have been a favorite of mine for many, many years. When I was young, my Great Aunt Mary used to make them, when I would go to visit they would be “drying” in the oven. I walk in and wonder each and every visit if there were any Mint Chocolate Chip Meringue Cookies.
I’d say hi and run to open the oven and see…
Sure enough most times there were.
That is if she was expecting me. I never knew how long these little buggers took to make…I was a kid!
Sure enough most times there were. That is if she was expecting me. I never knew how long these little buggers took to make…I was a kid!
About a month ago I shared this story with Mac, if you’d like to hear about it and some adventures in my kitchen. I also made Raspberry Rose Meringue Cookies, boy did they get me in the mood to make more meringues. I also made Red Strawberry Meringue Roses. Since this is St. Patrick’s “Week”, it seemed perfect to share these Green little treats with you. Below is the printable recipe.
I used a 12 point open star tip (#32)
- 4 large egg whites
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 Tablespoon meringue powder
- 4 Tablespoons Creme de Menthe (a peppermint option is to use up to1 teaspoon peppermint extract)
- 1/2 cup mini chocolate chips at the end.
- In a double boiler, combine egg whites, sugar, and meringue powder. Whisk until sugar dissolves and egg whites are hot 3-4 minutes.
- Transfer to mixing bowl, with the whisk attachment, mix on low speed increasing to high until stiff glossy peaks form, this takes about 10 minutes.
- Stir in creme de menthe and chocolate chips, or bake without chips, then once they are baked and cooled, (then melt the chips and dip the bottoms of the cookies into chocolate and place them on a parchment lined baking sheet and place them in the fridge to set up for a few mintues).
- Then piped with a 12 point open star tip (#32)
- Bake on a parchment-lined baking sheet at 175 degrees for 1 ½ hours then turn off the oven and leave them in the oven for another hour or until dry.