When ever I hear “Pepper-Jack” I think of my mom,
it’s so silly.
She loves cheese just as much and I do and I recall her buying Pepper-Jack cheese in the 80′s it was a regular item in our fridge.
I don’t recall it going into Mac and Cheese and well, that was a BIG mistake I just fixed and…
if you like Pepper-Jack Cheese and the thought of spicing up Mac and Cheese,
well start thanking me now!
Really this is a WINNER and I have it on good authority many felt the same way. I recently made a big batch of this to bring to a party and everyone seemed to love it, YIPPEE! I love when that happens.
This creamy spicy cheesy sauce is just wonderful!
But I didn’t stop there I added roasted jalapeños crisp bacon and cilantro to the top of the dish and well.
Yep, I think it put it over the top, in a good way of course.
The way…. only bacon can do it.
- 1 pound cooked pasta (I used mini Penne)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ¼ cup minced onion
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic ( I use Gourmet Gardens Garlic)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 3 cups milk
- ½ pound (approx. 2 cups) grated cheddar cheese
- ¼ pound (approx. 1 cup ) grated pepper jack cheese
- 1 roasted, seeded, diced jalapeños.
- ½ cup crumbled bacon
- 1 jalapeño, roasted, seeded and diced.
- While I prepare the sauce I cook the pasta that way the pasta is hot when the sauce is complete.
- Saute onion and garlic in olive oil
- Add butter and flour and whisk until butter is melted and cook the flour for a minute on medium heat.
- Slowly add the milk in while whisking, keep adding the milk until it’s all incorporated and looks like a sauce. If you add the milk too quickly it will be lumpy, add ½ cup at a time slowly while whisking:trust me, I’ve been in a hurry and rushed it and wanted to start all over sometimes.
- Once all the milk is incorporated, add the cheeses and whisk the cheese into the sauce until smooth.
- Stir in 3 roasted and diced jalapeños.
- Pour sauce over pasta.
- To top off this dish, I heated the crumbled bacon until it was crispy.
- Then topped the Pepper-Jack Mac and Cheese with the bacon, cilantro and the additional jalapeño.
- The large dish pictured is this recipe doubled-two pounds of pasta-which I find is a great amount to bring to a party.