Chocolate has a way of making everything better ….. This easy 4 ingredient Chocolate Mousse to the rescue.
We all have days we need a little rescuing,
It could be a major catastrophe or just little everyday annoyances,
chocolate mousse is the ANSWER!
Ok, maybe just for me it is.
If that is the case, then I won’t have to share and enjoy all the chocolate mouse myself.
Somehow I doubt that will be the case in my house.
The minute they see chocolate mousse, well…
you better have grabbed yours already,
you won’t want to have a high speed chase to get one!
How do you make chocolate mousse from scratch?
What is chocolate mousse made of?
What kind of chocolate is used for mousse?
the better the chocolate the better the flavor in chocolate mousse, I use 60% cacao chocolate. The result is rich and delicious. Use your favorite good quality chocolate
How long is chocolate mousse good for?
Chocolate mousse stays good for 5 days in the fridge.
What goes well with chocolate mousse?
Fresh fruit, whipped cream, and red wine are great accompaniments to chocolate mousse.
This chocolate mousse starts off with chocolate.
The better tasting chocolate you begin with, the better your chocolate mousse will taste. (that makes sense, right)
I will say, when it comes to making any dessert, don’t use ingredients you don’t prefer. You will never be satisfied with the results.
I love Ghirardelli 60% cacao chocolate, and those are the chips I used for my mousse. I love when the large warehouse stores carry them in giant bags. I won’t tell you how many I buy, but lets just say I have a VERY good supply if there is a chocolate emergency!
heating the chocolate in a double boiler only takes a few minutes and it’ll be silky smooth
whip up that cream
blend the chocolate with the custard (eggs and cream mixture) along with the whipped cream and now it’ll just need to chill.
Rich in chocolate flavor and a creamy smooth fluffy texture that you will enjoy spoonful after spoonful.
Using jars for the mousse allows you to stack them, and bring them anywhere you’d like to enjoy this sweet treat.
How to make Chocolate Mousse
- 8 oz chocolate the better quality chocolate you use the better the results I prefer 60%cacao Ghirardelli
- 2 cups heavy cream separated 1/2 and 1 1/2 cups
- 4 egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Heat chocolate in a double boiler until melted.
- In a medium saucepan, heat 1/2 cup heavy cream on medium heat until tiny bubbles form all around the edges.
- In a bowl whisk egg yolks, then stir this into the heated cream and cook until it reaches 160 degrees F.
- Strain mixture if the eggs clump a bit, straining it will make the mixture smooth.
- Whisk egg mixture into the chocolate and allow it to cool. Place a bowl of cold water and ice under the bowl of egg mixture and chocolate to speed this along,
- While the mixture is cooling, whip 1 1/2 cups heavy cream until stiff peaks form.
- Gently blend cooled egg mixture into whipped heavy cream with a spatula and add vanilla extract.
- Pour into dishes and refrigerate until cold. About 3 hours.