Mistakes with frosting {what I learned}

I don’t always prefer to learn a lesson, by making a mistake.
Somehow when that happens though, you don’t seem to do it again.
 At least I hope I won’t.
When I was making frosting the other day for some special cupcakes,
 if you didn’t see them take a look
here.
It think my biggest problem is I am always doing to many things at once. I was mixing the icing and thought I’d have enough time to turn around and put the cupcakes on a cooling rack and wash the cupcake tins.
Well apparently I wasn’t thinking
 and…
well….
I left the mixer on too high of a speed and…
I over mixed my frosting!
UGH!
I frosted the cupcakes and hoped it would be fine.
You know those moments when you know it’s not right, but hope somehow you are wrong.
I really like the curly edges, but there was so much air pumped into them that it looked grainy and kind of dry.
 I knew the cute curly edge was too much of a good thing.
It was a sure sign all that cuteness was a waste, my frosting had been over beaten, I now wish I had added more milk and waited to see if it would incorporate correctly and solve the problem, but I guess I was not paying as close attention and noticed the consistency after I had filled the piping bag.
What a MISTAKE!!!!
Not by me of course, I’m blaming the mixer, yes it’s all the mixers fault!
It’s nice to push blame sometimes!
The mixer is taking it really well.
 The taste was fine not as grainy as I thought it would be, extremely fluffy so much air was pumped in you almost had to eat three cupcakes just to know if you had tasted it!
 but taste was not the question. They tasted great. I should have just added more milk to get the consistency I wanted.
The more I looked at them, the more I knew there would be more baking in my near future!
Sometimes there is nothing wrong with having too many cupcakes around.
There were two dozen mini cupcakes and one dozen regular cupcakes.
Glad there are always plenty of taste testers available, and they don’t seem to mind if they aren’t right.
I made the colors darker the second time around, hoping they’d be a perfect match to these roses.
 So I began again, luckily I didn’t walk away from the mixer for the second batch and wound up with these.
Just enough curly edge cuteness, but not so pumped with air you forgot it was frosting!
Orange cupcake recipe
1/2 cup unsalted butter (room temperature)
2/3 cups sugar
3 eggs (room temperature)
1 1/2 cups flour
1 1/2 tsp. baking  powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 cup fresh orange juice
2 tsp orange extract
2 drops Americolor #113 orange food coloring
Beat the butter until pale, then add the sugar. Add one egg at a time, blend until all incorporated. Then add in flour baking powder and salt, followed by orange juice and extract. Once it’s all blended fill lined cupcake pan with batter 2/3 full.
Having you butter are room temperature helps it to beat smooth, and eggs at room temperature prevent the cake from becoming too dry. (you can easily place the eggs in their shell in warm water for 2 minutes or take them out of the refrigerator for 30 minutes)
Bake at 350 for 18 minutes.
This recipe makes 12 cupcakes.
Orange Frosting
1/2 cup butter (room temperature)
1/2 cup shortening
4 cups sifted powdered sugar
 Yes, sifting makes a difference, It insures smoother frosting.
2 T. orange juice
1tsp. orange extract
Beat butter, shortening until smooth, then add in sifted powdered sugar along with orange juice and extract.
Share you mistake you have made baking that you won’t forget anytime soon?
Don’t make me feel like I’m the only one :)

I wanted the frosting firm on  the first batch of cupcakes, but now think I may have added just a bit too much powdered sugar and didn’t account that I’d need more milk to keep it smooth and creamy. Adding milk would have corrected this problem :)
I learned the hard way! I hope I save you from making the same mistake.
17 Comments

don't forget to confirm email sent and enjoy every recipe

Comments

BigBearswife says:

oo they look so good! I know what you mean about over mixing! I made some this weekend and did just that :(. Also please teach me how to make them look like roses! so cute!

Just goes to show, that mistakes happen to the BEST of us, since it happen to you:)I have made too many mistakes to list, and many involve making macarons!
    Beautiful cupcake roses!

happened:)

Pam @ Kassie's Beach says:

Yum! They are gorgeous…even the airy ones. I'm artistic by nature but for some reason that doesn't translate to the kitchen.

I think both sets look great! I definitely will be using your recipe. Your blog is making me have longer workouts!!!

Busy Working Mama says:

They look lovely, though. Surely nothing sweet and yummy can be a mistake?

You are definitely not the only one…I am the queen of mistakes..lol I put baking soda instead of baking powder in a giant batch of pizelles. They were awful. I had to throw the whole batch away. That is just one of the many goofs I have made:) Your roses are all gorgeous.

Pati @ A Crafty Escape says:

Those are beautiful!

My latest mistake was forgetting to add eggs to the cake mix… but that's what happens when you let a 2-year old little man help you out. At least we had a great time baking!

Catherine says:

These cupcakes look too beautiful to eat ~ but I totally would eat them if I was there! :)

Yum!
    xo Catherine

cookies and cups says:

I have mistakes all the time…usually involves burning something.
    The kids are always like, "mom set off the smoke alarm again"

I loved these when you guest post at Cupcakes Takes the Cake. They are beautiful. The over-beaten ones…I would have eaten them for you! Your *mistakes* look a lot better than my best effort :)

The Captain's Daughter says:

I just made biscotti twice because I became distracted and forgot the baking powder! And no… It does not work if you throw the dough back into the mixer and add the baking powder in after the fact! :(

Don't be too hard on yourself… Your creations, even those you believe are mistakes, are always beautiful!!

fortheloveofyum says:

Your mistakes would be my triumphs as far as icing is concerned! I made cupcakes for my sister-in-law's baby shower and tried the piping bag route and failed miserably and just threw in the towel and used a spatula. Yours look gorgeous to me in both cases.

I would have never guessed there was anything wrong with the first cupcakes. But, I'm always trying to do to many things at once, and I'm a perfectionist, so I totally get where you are coming from. :)

I can't believe you even called the first batch a mistake, they are so pretty and I bet tasted great. I have too many kitchen mistakes to mention and have even been found crying in front of the stove…but you know what? I learn from them and pick myself off the floor and try again. It's what I love most about being in the kitchen, I've built up a NO FEAR attitude and there is always pizza delivery or chinese take-out. Lovely blog!

Michelle says:

How do you get your frosting to do the double color thing like that when you pipe? Did you just put orange and yellow together in the same bag and then pipe?

Thanks!

Michelle

Yes, with a long firm spatula slide one color in and scrape it along one side of the bag. Then place the second color on the other side of the bag. I love the two tone look, it’s so pretty. They now sell piping bags with two chambers, but they don’t mix at all. I kind of like that they blend a bit together.