For all the mac and cheese fans out there this is will sure become your new favorite SOUP!
Mac and Cheese SOUP…
you heard me right!
Yep, all the yumminess of mac and cheese in a warm and comforting soup.
I’ve been a soup lover since I was a kid.
I could eat it all year long. It seems that some only like soup when it’s cold, not me I like it all year long.
This is a fun soup that my kids love.
It gets thicker as it sits and if you happen to have any leftovers, well then it’s pretty much like a saucy mac and cheese.
Make it as cheesy as you’d like, or as soupy… the choice is up to you.
It’s great with an added kick of diced jalapeno sauteed with the onion and topped with some crispy bacon too.
This soup can be easily adapted to be gluten free with either gluten free pasta or instead of using pasta use small diced potatoes or diced cauliflower… soup is flexible that way. Use what you like, or what you have on hand!
I like that I usually have all the ingredients needed to make this and can whip it up quick.
Diced onion and grated cheddar cheese give this soup wonderful flavor.
…and well pasta, yes I guess you could say I’m obsessed with pasta. I buy ten boxes at a time and while I’m picking out all the wonderful shapes I’m dreaming of what I’m going to make with them.
I like that the sauce sticks in between the swirls on these, but any shape will be delicious.
My favorite pasta is Barilla, it always cooks up perfectly and I’ve been using it for years….many, many, years.
add the pasta to the sauce and enjoy.
Mac and Cheese Soup
- 1 lb pasta
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoon flour
- 4 cups milk
- 1 tablespoon chicken flavor/bouillon
- 1 onion diced
- 6 oz grated cheddar cheese
- 1/8 teaspoon celery salt
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup grated Romano Cheese optional
- *Add a cup of water if the broth is really thick
- Cook pasta according to package directions.
- Place butter in saucepan and heat on medium, with 1 tablespoon olive oil and saute onion, until tender.
- Add in flour and whisk.
- Slowly pour in milk whisking constantly. Allow the sauce to thicken as you add the liquid, don't pour it all in at once.
- Stir in chicken flavor and cheese.
- Pour over cooked pasta and serve.
- If you aren't going to be eating it all and want it to remain more soup-like, only add half a pound of pasta. If you add all the pasta it will thicken and set up like a saucy mac and cheese, which is really delicious.
- But won't resemble soup. It will reheat and be more like mac and cheese, still delicious, but if you want it to reheat like soup, you'll most likely need to add more chicken broth to thin out the sauce.