This time of year always revolves around gingerbread and candy canes, and this year is no different in my kitchen!
I just couldn’t wait to bake up a batch of these adorable cookies,
they are truly the hit of the cookie tray.
Perfect when giving a whole tray of cookie to friends and neighbors and wanting to have a cute addition, these will even make the simplest cookie tray look amazing.
I measured the candy canes I had and wanted the wood dowels to be slightly larger so that I would be sure the dowel would come out and the candy cane could slide in after the cookies puffed up when they were baked. I used 3/8″ dowels, they were perfect for regular candy canes, some other more gourmet candy canes can be thicker so be sure to measure your candy canes thickness. I cut the dowel into 2 1/2 inch long pieces which ended up perfect.
After the cookies are baked, let them cool about 2 minutes then gently slide the dowel out of the cookies.
Then allow the cookies to completely cool before placing the candy cane in.
- 1 cup butter (room temperature)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1/4 teaspoon dry ginger
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- In large mixer bowl beat butter with sugars.
- Add in pumpkin pie spice, ginger, molasses, egg and vanilla.
- Mix in flour, baking powder and salt until fully combined.
- Roll out cookie dough in between wax paper to 1/4 inch.
- Cut cookie with a cookie cutter.
- Place cookie dough onto parchment lined baking sheets.
- Use 3/8" dowels cut to 2 1/2 inches long and wrap the gingerbread arms around the dowels.
- Bake cookies at 400 degrees for 7-9 minutes.
- Allow cookies to cool 2 minutes, gently slide dowels out of cookies by slightly twisting and sliding.
- Allow cookies to completely cool.
- Place candy canes into the arms.
- *the candy canes I used measured slightly smaller than 3/8". Adding the candy canes was easy because the opening was slightly larger, the candy canes move freely on the cookie. If your candy canes are a different size, adjust the dowel size accordingly.
Gingerbread cookies are really an awesome Christmas treat. Thanks a lot for posting these mouth watering delicacies. 🙂