The Holidays would be boring if no one referenced Fruitcake, right?
It seems to be the talk of a lot of jokes.
All I know is my dad loves it.
So these were made with him in mind.
Not sure these will stay fresh for years and years, but I’m sure he’ll be putting a few in the freezer so he can snack on them in the coming weeks.
All the while thinking of his wonderful daughter of course!
Fruitcake Mix is diced up pineapple, cherry, orange rinds and other candied fruits.
Roll your scone dough into a log in between wax paper.
Roll out scone dough to desired thickness. Scones puff up nicely. If you want them thick. Roll them about 1/2″ thick. For thinner scones 1/4 ”
I used a 4 inch round cookie cutter to cut the scones.
- 2 cups Gold Medal All Purpose Unbleached Flour
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 1 cup fruitcake mix (or diced up candied fruit)
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ cup cold butter (diced)
- ½ cup heavy cream
- ½ teaspoon vanilla bean paste (or extract)
- 1 teaspoon Rum emulsion (or extract)
- 2 eggs
- Mix flour, sugar, baking powder and salt together.
- Cut in cold butter with pastry cutter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Fold in fruitcake mix so it’s coated with flour.
- Add cream, extracts and lightly beaten eggs and mix until blended.
- Knead on floured surface until dough is smooth.
- Roll out dough in between wax paper.
- Cut with cookie cutter.
- Bake on parchment lined baking sheets at 400 degrees for 15 minutes or until lightly golden.
- Serve warm or allow icing to cool and ice with a glaze icing.
1½ cups powdered sugar
1 tablespoon corn syrup
2-3 tablespoons water
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Mix until smooth and creamy. Add more water or powdered sugar to adjust consistency desired.
General Mills asked bloggers to create a Holiday Recipe using Gold Medal Flour, all opinions are my own, those are priceless.